Upton Warren Worcestershire Family History Guide
Upton Warren is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Parish Church: St. Michael
The parish registers begin with the year 1604.
Nonconformists in Upton Warren include: Roman Catholic.
There was a parochial school for boys and girls, in 1879, with an average attendance of 40.
Parishes adjacent to Upton Warren
- Grafton Manor
- Chaddesley Corbett
- Stoke Prior
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Upton-Warren, a parish, with a village, in Droitwich district, Worcester; 3¼ miles NNE of Droitwich r. station. Post town, Bromsgrove. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £4,518. Pop., 338. Houses, 73. About four-fifths of the property belong to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £749. Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church is good. There are an endowed school, and charities with jointly more than £36 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Upton-Warren (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 2½ miles SW from Bromsgrove; containing 441 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Birmingham and Worcester road, and comprises 2574a. 35p. of which 1600 acres are arable, 750 pasture, and 136 woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil partly a strong clay, and the scenery picturesque. The Stoke station on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway is one mile to the east, and the Bromsgrove station (for carriages) three miles distant: the river Salwarp or Warren propels a flour-mill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £11. 2. 3½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Shrewsbury: the tithes have been commuted for £670, and the glebe consists of 80 acres, with an excellent residence. The church, a plain edifice with a square tower surmounted by a spire, was partly rebuilt in 1793, and has a neat interior. There is a national school, endowed with £18 per annum by Elizabeth Lacey and others, in 1745; also a Church Sunday school. An annuity of £10 was bequeathed by Alderman Saunders to the Grocers’ Company, for apprenticing a boy of this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Upton-Warren – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, upper division, 3 miles S.W. from Bromsgrove, and 121 from London; containing 60 inhabited houses. The church has been partly rebuilt, and is neatly fitted up inside. In the year 1820, a woman (whose husband was a labouring man in the parish) was delivered of four girls, whose birth was attested by the minister and medical attendant. Considerable sums of money were subscribed towards their maintenance, and secured under the trust of the Rev. Mr. Biggs and G. P. Rufford, Esq. They are all living, and now reside in a small house on the right of the road leading into the town of Bromsgrove. The living is a rectory; the Rev. George Biggs, incumbent; instituted 1807; patron T. Price, Esq. Population, 1801, 342 – 1811, 402 – 1821, 463.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Laird Description of Worcestershire 1814
Upton Warin is on the western side of the high road, between Droitwich and Bromsgrove. We mention it merely on account of the curious fact, that in 1319, William Fitz-warin, Lord of this manor, appeared before the Bishop of Worcester, and was condemned to pay seven-pence per week to Alice his wife; and the same day he swore to obey the orders of the church, and abjure Isabella de Kynlet “under a penalty that if he should happen carnally to know the said Isabella, he would pay half a mark to the Bishop, for charity.”
Source: A Topographical and Historical Description of the County of Worcester, by Mr. Laird. Printed for Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and George Cowie and Co. successors to Vernor, Hood, and Sharp, 31, Poultry, London. Printed circa 1814.
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Droitwich
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Droitwich
- Petty Sessional Division: Bromsgrove
- Polling District: Bromsgrove