Stone Worcestershire Family History Guide
Stone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish includes: Shenstone, Hoobrook and Stankling.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1601
Parishes adjacent to Stone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STONE, a parish in Kidderminster district, Worcester; 2 miles ESE of Kidderminster r. station. It has a post-office under Kidderminster. Acres, 2,450. Real property £5,229. Pop., 475. Houses, 104. S. House, the Hoo, Dunclent, and Spennell House are chief residences. There is a worsted mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £827. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is recent, and has a tower and spire. There are an endowed school with £37 a year, and charities £195.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Stone, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, county of Worcester, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Kidderminster, containing 464 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £15, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains, over the northern door, some small remains of Norman architecture : this was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Chaddesley-Corbet. There are two spinning-mills in the parish. The free school, founded pursuant to the will of the Rev. Mr. Hill, B. D., is endowed with upwards of twenty acres of land, and a house for the master: This parish possesses a valuable charity of unknown origin, consisting of some land, near Stourbridge, containing clay for making fire-bricks, and producing, on an average, nearly £700 per annum, which, with the dividends of about £5000 three per cent. stock, is applied to repairing the church, and for charitable purposes.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Stone – a parish in the hundred of Halfshire, lower division, 2 ½ miles E.S.E. from Kidderminster, and 123 from London; containing 86 inhabited houses. Here is a free school for all the children of the parish, with a provision for the master secured upon land within the parish. It is a vicarage; Rev. J. Plumptre, D.D. incumbent; instituted 1778; patron, the King.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Kidderminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Kidderminster
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury