Stone Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Stone is a small parish, 2¼ miles S.E.E. from Kidderminster, in the Lower Division of the Halfshire Hundred, Kidderminster district. The population in 1851 consisted of 255 males, and 223 females; total 478 inhabitants.

The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a remarkably neat modern edifice, with square tower and lofty spire, containing a fine peal of bells. The living is a Vicarage, in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Worcester, and in the patronage of the Crown. Rev. John Peel, Vicar; Rev. Robert Seymour Nash, Curate; Mr. Daniel Oatley, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m. in summer; 3 p.m. in winter.

There is a Free School in this parish, founded and endowed pursuant to the will of the Rev. Mr. Hill; there is also a house for the master. Mr. William Johnes, Master; Bridget Johnes, Mistress. Average number of scholars of both sexes, 50.


Nash Rev. Robert S., Curate, Vicarage

Seager Mrs., Shenstone

Blakeway Philip, farmer, Shenstone

Cole Thomas, blacksmith, Shenstone

Crowder Edward, farmer, Hoo Farm

Crowder Edward, farmer, Shenstone

Dutton John, blacksmith, Stankling

Evans William, wheelwright, Stankling

Gibbon Benj., ironmaster, Spennell House

Jordan James, beer retailer, Plough

Lett John, farmer, Stone Farm

Martin William, farmer, Shenstone

Mayall George, shopkeeper, Shenstone

Morris J., ironmaster, Stone House

Penn Thomas, farmer, Shenstone

Ward Nicholas, victualler, Crown, Hoo Brook

Whitnun Samuel, beer retailer, Live and Let Live, Hoo Brook

Yeomans John, farmer

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.