Oddingley Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855
Oddingley is a small parish, situated about 5 miles N. from Worcester, the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway running through it. The parish contained in the year 1851 a population of 185 inhabitants.
There is little doubt that this ancient parish originally received its name from two great warriors of the Saxon race, who, history relates, fought a battle on Oddingley Common or Heath. The names of these combatants were Odd and Dingley, two chiefs of the Mercian kingdom, who have also the reputation of being founders of Dudley Castle, and of the Tewkesbury monastery, in the time of Kinewold, a Bishop of Worcester. The church of Oddingley was added to Worcester about the year 941. The farm called Netherwood in this parish is the place where Heming, the murderer of the Rev. Mr. Parker, was himself murdered by his employers, who were fearful of the discovery of the horrible tragedy, Parker having been killed in the village in the summer of 1806.
The Church is a small, ancient, cruciform building, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and western square tower, containing three bells. The building is in the perpendicular style, the windows still retaining that character. The south chancel wall contains a small, ancient piscina, and the inner wall of the porch has a stoup; the church has of late years received extensive repairs and improvements. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Howard Galton, Esq. Rev. Jackson Porter, M.A., Rector; Mr. Henry Crump, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Bearcroft Rev. James, B.A., The Grange
Porter Rev. Jackson, M.A., Rector, Rectory
Aston William, brick and tile manufacturer
Clewes Thomas, victualler, Fir Tree
Cole Thomas, farmer, Church Farm
Crump Henry, Clerk and Sexton
Crump William, shoe maker
Godard William, farmer, Park Farm
Greenhill Thomas, shoe maker and Constable
Griffin Samuel, carpenter
James John, blacksmith
Plain Joseph, shopkeeper, Trench Lane
Waterson John, farmer, Netherwood
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855