Netherton St Andrew is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Worcestershire, created in 1844 from Dudley St Thomas Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Netherton near Dudley, Netherton
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Andrew
Parish registers begin: None
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists.
Parishes adjacent to Netherton St Andrew
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NETHERTON, a village and a chapelry in Dudley parish, Worcester. The village stands on the Stour-bridge canal and the West Midland railway, near the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile S of Dudley; has a station on the railway, a post-office under Dudley, and a good inn; and is a centre of extensive manufacturing establishments and of a extensive miningtrade. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £10,050. Pop., 10, 426. Houses, 1,964. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dudley. There are some good residences. Mineral springs, similar to those of Cheltenham, with baths and a commodious inn, are at Saltwells-Wood. Scythes, spades, shovels, boilers, iron-tanks, iron-boats, gasometers, and chain-cables are extensively manufactured; coal and ironstone are extensively mined; and there are two large breweries, and several malthouses. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Dudley. The church was built in 1830, at a cost of about £7,500; has a tower; contains 1,500 sittings; stands on high ground; and figures conspicuously over distances of many miles. A building used both as a chapel of ease and as a school is at Windmill-End; and a wooden one, similarly used, is at Dudley-Wood. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists. There is also, in the centre of the village, a church-school for boys and girls.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Dudley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Dudley
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury