Norton and Lenchwick, Worcestershire Family History
Norton and Lenchwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Chadbury, Lenchwick and Norton, and Lenchwick.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Norton and Lenchwick
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTON, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Avon, 1½ SSW of the boundary with Warwickshire, and 2¾ NNW of Evesham r. station; and is sometimes called Abbots-Norton. The parish contains the tythings of Lenchwick and Chadbury; and its post town is Evesham. Acres, 2,614. Real property, £4,295. Pop., 396. Houses, 87. The property is subdivided; but most of it, with a fine hunting-box at Chadbury, belongs to the Duc D’ Aumale. Vestiges of an ancient stone bridge, which crossed the Avon, are at Twyford. Part of the battlefield of Evesham is within the parish, and has yielded relics of the battle. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Lenchwick, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is late perpendicular, with a tower; was partly rebuilt, partly repaired, in 1844; and contains monuments of the Bigg family, and effigies of knights.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Norton and Lenchwick – a parish in the hundred of Blakenhurst, lower division, 3 miles N. from Evesham, and 99 from London; containing 76 inhabited houses. It is a vicarage; Rev. William Wormington, incumbent; instituted 1785; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 306 – 1811, 339 – 1821, 386.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Lenchwick Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Lench-Wick, co. Worcester.
P. T. Evesham (99) 3 m. N. Pop. with Pa.
A township and chapelry in the parish of Norton and lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Norton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, not in charge; patronage with Norton vicarage.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Evesham
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Blackenhurst
- Province: Canterbury