Colesbourne, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Colesbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Colesborne or Cowlesbourne
Parish registers begin: 1632
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Colesbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLESBORNE, or Coldsborne, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, near the highest source of the river Thames, 3 miles E of Ermine-street, and 7 SSE of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,200. Real property, £1,872. Pop., 261. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Colesborne House is the seat of H. Elwes, Esq. Colesborne Pen hill is one of the highest summits in the county. Vestiges of a Roman villa have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £127. Patron, H. Elwes, Esq. The church is early perpendicular English; and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Coldsborne, 7 m. N.E. Cirencester. P. 256
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Rapsgate
- Province: Canterbury