Cheltenham, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Cheltenham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Sandford, Naunton, Westhall, Arle, Alstone, and Cheltenham Holy Trinity.
Parish registers begin: 1558. Separate registers exist for Cheltenham Holy Trinity: 1821
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Jewish, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes adjacent to Cheltenham
- Up Hatherley
- Elmstone Hardwicke with Uckington
- Charlton Kings
- Cheltenham St Peter
- Cheltenham St Paul
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Cheltenham, a town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred in Gloucester. The town stands on the river Chelt, at the terminus of a short branch railway, 7 ¼ miles ENE of Gloucester. The railway communicates westward directly with the Gloucester and Birmingham, and indirectly with the Great Western; and further railway communication is in progress of formation both eastward into direct junction with the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line, and southeastward, past Holwell and Highworth, into direct junction with the Great Western. The site of the town is a fertile valley, amphitheatred at the distance of two miles, by the Cotswold hills; the climate is comparatively mild and equable; and the environs show charming features of wood and mansion on the plain, and include brilliant scenery and noble prospects among the Cotswolds. The town is supposed to be of Saxon origin; but it remained a small straggling hamlet at the close of the 17th century; and it owed its present consequence to the discovery of medicinal springs in 1716, and to an invalid sojourn at it of George III. in 1788. It is now one of the finest and most fashionable towns in the kingdom, a great resort of visitors in quest of health or pleasure, and a chosen permanent residence of many wealthy annuitants. It consists principally of spacious streets, squares, crescents, and terraces in a style of neatness or elegance; it includes likewise a large number of sumptuous detached villas; and it presents everywhere the pleasing ornament of trees, in lines along the streets, in groups on the larger spaces, and in scatterings among the villas. The chief street is upwards of 1 ½ mile long, and forms the seat of nearly all the shopping and stir; while the other quarters spread away in fashionable airiness, ease, and retirement.
The mineral springs are numerous; and they present considerable differences in their constituent elements. All are strongly saline; some are also chalybeate; and most contain iodine, in the proportion of about a grain in a gallon. The saline ingredients in one of the strongest are 74.5 grains of muriate of soda, 2.25 of muriate of lime, 2. of muriate of magnesia, and 11.75 of sulphate of soda; but these ingredients differ so much in neighbouring springs, that at one of the spas, or places where the waters are obtained, there is a row of taps all differing from one another in saline strength. The chief spas are the Old Wells, the Montpelier, the Pittville, and the Cambray. The Old Wells are approached through a fine avenue, and have a pump-room, 66 feet by 23, rebuilt in 1803. The Montpelier was opened in 1809; is situated among charming gardens; and has an elegant and commodious pump-room with a lofty dome. The Pittville was opened in 1830; is situated in grounds of surpassing beauty; and has a splendid Grecian edifice, 90 feet by 43, with a wide colonnade and a lofty dome. The Cambray was discovered in 1833; is situated at the corner of Imperial square; and has an octagonal building in the Tudor style. The season for drinking the waters extends from May till October; and is rifest and best in August and September. Seven hotels, mainly for the accommodation of visitors, are on a great scale; and one of them, the Queen’s, erected in 1836, cost £50,000. Lodging-houses also are numerous and good. Pleasure-gardens, reading-rooms, libraries, musical promenades, concerts, balls, floral exhibitions, pyrotechny, cricket-matches, and other recreations are plentiful. Races are run on one of the finest courses in the kingdom; hunting is enjoyed in the winter months; a theatre, a museum, a zoological garden, and a philosophical institution offer a variety of attractions; and a beautiful surrounding country presents a rich diversity of walks and drives.
The town-hall, the masonic-hall, and the market-house are good buildings. The parish church, nearly in the centre of the town, is early decorated English and cruciform, with square tower and lofty octagonal spire; has an ancient pulpit and reading-desk, and a beautiful circular north window; and contains a curious monument of 1643. Trinity church, near the Pittville spa, is a commodious Gothic structure, erected as a chapel of ease, principally at the expense of Lord Sherborne. St. John’s church, in Berkeley-street, is a neat building, erected in 1828. St. Paul’s church, in St. Paul-street, is a spacious structure, built by voluntary subscription. St. James’ church, in Suffolk-square, is a neat Gothic edifice. Christ church, in Lansdowne, is a beautiful transepted structure, 130 feet by 107. St Peter’s church, in Tewkesbury-place, is an edifice in the Norman style by Dankes, with a round tower 90 feet high. St. Luke’s church is an erection of 1855, in the geometric decorated style. St. Mark’s church was built in 1861; is in the decoiated English style; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisles, with vestry. The places of worship within the borough in 1851 were 7 of the Church of England, with 10,855 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 2,030 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 2,300 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 100 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 300 s.; 4 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,415 s.; 2 of the Wesleyan Association, with 240 s.; 1 of Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion, with 750 s.; 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 630 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 360 s.; and 1 of Jews, with 85 s. The grammar-school was founded in 1574; and has an endowed income of £30, and two scholarships at Pembroke college, Oxford. The Chelt. proprietory college, for the education of noblemen and gentlemen, was built in 1843; is a splendid edifice in the Tudor style, with a frontage of 240 feet, and a central tower 80 feet high; and has a hall 90 feet by 45, and a gymnasium. The Church of England training-college was founded in 1849; is an edifice in the early English style, raised at a cost of about £12,000; and has accommodation for 100 persons. The schools within the borough, in 1851, were 23 public day schools, with 3,405 scholars; 59 private day schools, with 1,306 s.; and 22 Sunday schools, with 3,138 s. There are a general hospital, a female orphan asylum, alms-houses, and a workhouse. Total endowed charities, £382.
The town has a head post-office, a telegraph station, and three banking-offices; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and publishes seven weekly newspapers. Markets are held on Thursdays and Saturdays; and fairs on the second Thursday of April, Holy Thursday, 5 Aug., the second Thursday of Sept., and the third Thursday of Dec. Nearly all the trade is dependent on visitors and wealthy residents. The town was made a borough by the Reform act, and sends one member to parliament; and its borough boundaries are conterminate with the parish. Real property in 1860, £207,716. Direct taxes in 1857, £30,598. Electors in 1860, 2,359. Pop. in 1841, 31,411; in 1861, 39,639. Houses, 7,012. The borough or parish includes the tythings of Alstone and Arle, and the hamlets of Naunton, Westhall, and Sandford; and is divided, for local purposes, into five wards. The manor belonged to Edward the Confessor and William the Conqueror; passed to the Earls of Salisbury, Feschamp abbey, Sion nunnery, Prince Charles, and the Duttons; was bought from Lord Sutton, by James Agg, Gardner, Esq., for nearly £40,000; and belongs now to R. S. Lingwood, Esq. The parochial church is a rectory, and the other churches are p. curacies, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value of the rectory, £500; of Trinity Church, £450 ; of St. John and St. James, each £230; of St. Paul, £300; of Christ Church, £400; of St. Peter, £150; of St. Luke, £350; of St. Mark, £181. Patrons of the rectory, and of Christ Church, Simeon’s Trustees; of Trinity, St. John, St. Paul, and St. Luke, the Rector; of St. James, St. Peter, and St. Mark, Trustees.
The sub-district is conterminate with the parish. The district includes also the sub-district of Charlton-Kings, containing the parishes of Charlton-Kings, Leckhampton, Swindon, Prestbury, Cubberley, Cowley, Whitcomb-Magna, Badgeworth, Great Shurdington, Up-Hatherley, Staverton, and part of Elmstone-Hardwicke. Acres, 24,876. Poor-rates in 1862, £21,276. Pop. in 1841, 40,246; in 1861, 49,792. Houses, 9,095. Marriages, in 1860, 424; births, 1,379,—of which 94 were illegitimate; deaths, 851, of which 239 were at ages under 5 years, and 21 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 3,955; births, 12,042 ; deaths, 8,925. The places of worship in 1851, additional to those within the borough, were 12 of the Church of England, with 3,665 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 60 S.; 2 of Baptists, with 240 s.; and 1 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 174 s. The schools, additional to those within the borough, were 11 public day schools, with 789 scholars; 20 private day schools, with 307 s.; and 16 Sunday schools, with 1,029 s.—The hundred contains only Cheltenham parish and parts of four other parishes. Acres, 8,961. Pop., 45,886. Houses, 8,263.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cheltenham, 96 m. S.W. London, and 9 miles N.E. Gloucester. Mrkt. Thurs. P. 31,411
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Naunton Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Naunton, a hamlet in Cheltenham parish, Gloucester; near Cheltenham.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Acklam George, Cheltenham, coach-builder, Jan. 22, 1836.
Arkell James, Alstone, Cheltenham, miller, April 29, 1834.
Balcomb William, Cheltenham, plumber and painter, Nov. 24, 1835.
Ballinger Josiah, Cheltenham, livery stable keeper, April 26, 1842.
Banks Thomas, Cheltenham, linen draper, Jan. 27, 1835.
Bath James, Cheltenham, silversmith, April 15, 1826.
Bayly William Henry, Cheltenham, banker, May 2, 1821.
Baynton Thomas, Cheltenham, dealer in horses, Feb. 27, 1835.
Beak Johnson Hay ward, Cheltenham, wine merchant, March 13, 1838.
Bellchambers Edmund, Gloucester and Cheltenham, printer, June 19, 1827.
Benbow Thomas, Cheltenham, mercer and draper, Aug. 8, 1837.
Bennett Robert South, Cheltenham, corn merchant, June 9, 1840.
Bennett Thomas Hale, Cheltenham, timber merchant, Dec. 12, 1837.
Bevill John William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, tobacconist, May 6, 1822.
Bevill John William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, general agent, Dec. 1, 1840.
Bidmead Joseph, Cheltenham, plumber and glazier, Nov. 9, 1827.
Bidmead William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, plasterer, June 15, 1827.
Birchley William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, grocer, March 27, 1824.
Bird William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, plasterer, Dec. 19, 1826.
Bishop Edwin, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, tailor & draper, March 16, 1822.
Bishop William, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, mercer, Nov. 13, 1835.
Bellchambers Edmund, Gloucester and Cheltenham, printer, June 19, 1827.
Bonnor John, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, ironmonger, Sept. 8, 1837.
Boucher Thomas, Cheltenham, cabinet maker, Feb. 23, 1822.
Bowdige Edward, Cheltenham, dealer and chapman, July 7, 1837.
Bowerman Joseph, Cheltenham, Gloucester, common carrier, Sept. 22, 1837.
Brighton Thomas Woodhouse, Cheltenham, draper, Sept. 11, 1835.
Brighton Thomas Woodhouse, Cheltenham, general agent, Dec. 3, 1841.
Brookes Thomas, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, builder, June 13, 1828.
Brooks James William and Henry, Cheltenham, brewers, July 26, 1836.
Brown Thomas, Cheltenham, grocer and tea dealer, March 19, 1839.
Bruton Charles. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, grocer, Oct. 20, 1829.
Butler James Henry; and Butler James Phillips, Cheltenham, wine and spirit merchant, Nov. 29, 1839.
Butt Edward Herbert, Cheltenham, innkeeper, April 7, 1840
Marriages at Cheltenham 1558-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Cheltenham
- Province: Canterbury