Last Updated on
Leckhampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire
Parish registers begin: 1709
Parishes adjacent to Leckhampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LECKHAMPTON, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, 2½ miles S of Cheltenham r. station; was once a market town; and has a post office under Cheltenham. The parish contains also outskirts of Cheltenham, with numerous villas. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £13,617; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,149; in 1861, 2,523. Houses, 459. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Despencers; passed to the Giffards, the Norwoods, and the Tryes; and, with Leckhampton court, belongs now to the Rev. B. Trye. Leckhampton Hill is a steep and curious member of the Cotswolds; has an altitude of 979 feet; comprising 749 of lias formations, and 230 of inferior oolites; includes, in the latter, a fossiliferous freestone, quarried for building; and commands, at the summit, a most exquisite view. A tramway, for the conveyance of stone, leads from the foot of the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £400. Patron, the Rev. B. Trye. The church is of the 15th century; was repaired and enlarged in 1866, at a cost of £1, 800; comprises nave, S aisle, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains several fine mural tablets. A church, called St. Philip and St. James, was recently erected near Cheltenham Park; and is a tasteful structure, served by a p. curate, appointed by trustees. There are national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Leckhampton, a parish in Cheltenham hundred and union, county of Gloucester; 2½ miles south by west of Cheltenham, intersected by the Cheltenham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £18 13s. 4d.; gross income £366. Tithes commuted in 1778. Patron, in 1835, H. N. Tyre, Esq. The church contains some ancient monuments. Here are 4 daily schools, and a day and Sunday school. The manor-house is an ancient structure, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Henry Vll. Some of the boldest and most lofty of the Cotswold hills are included within this parish. Acres 1,330. Houses 183. A. P. £1,819. Pop., in 1801, 235; in 1831, 929. Poor rates, in 1838, £227 1s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Leckhampton, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Cheltenham (94) 2½m. S b W. Pop. 318.
A parish in the hundred of Cheltenham, part of it a rich pasture, and the remainder a mountainous tract, including some of the boldest and most lofty of the Cotswold Hills, one of which, from its craggy and gigantic form, is called the Devil’s Chimney. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. at 18l. 13s. 4d.; patron (1829) C. N. Trye, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, contains some ancient monuments, among which are the effigies of a knight, cross-legged, and his lady. The manor-house is an ancient structure, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Henry VII.; it occupies three sides of a square, and though situated at the base of the Leckhampton Hills, commands a fine view over the vale of Gloucester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Cheltenham
- Province: Canterbury