Last Updated on
Badgeworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Shurdington is a chapelry of Badgeworth.
Other places in the parish include: Little Shurdington, Little Witcombe, and Bentham.
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1553
Parishes adjacent to Badgeworth
- Up Hatherley
- Great Witcombe
Badgeworth Gloucestershire Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Badgeworth, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands on a small stream, 2 miles S of the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, and 4 miles SW of Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bentham, little_shurdington, and little_witcombe; and it’s post-town is Shurdington under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,927. Real property, £7,202. Pop., 1,048. Houses, 227. The manor belongs to J. E. Viner, Esq., of Badgeworth House. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Great Shurdington, Gloucestershire, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £295. Patron, J. E. Viner, Esq. The church is later English; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with tower at the west end of the nave; and is in good condition. Cox’s charities for the poor yield £100 a year, and other charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]
Badgeworth The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Badgeworth, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s-Barton, union of Cheltenham, county of Gloucester; 4 miles south west from Cheltenham, and 2 south of the railroad from Cheltenham to Gloucester. Living, a vicarage, to which is annexed the chapel of Sherdington, in the archd. of Gloucester, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £20 11s. 3d.; gross income £299. Patron, in 1835, W. L. Lawrence. There is also a sinecure rectory, in the patronage of Jesus’ college, Oxford. Charities connected with this parish produce £28 per annum. The inhabitants are entitled to send children to the free school at Churchdown. This parish lies on a small stream which flows north-west wards into the Severn. Pop., in 1801, 603; in 1831. 859. Houses 173. Acres 1,730. A. P. £4,994. Poor rates, in 1837 £331.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Badgeworth Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Badgeworth, 2 m. E. Gloucester. P. 903
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury