Adbaston, Staffordshire Family History Guide
Adbaston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Alternative names: Abdaston
Other places in the parish include: Adbaston cum Knighton, Adbaston with Knighton, Batchacre, Bishops Offley, Bishops Offlow, Tunstall near Eccleshall, Flashbrook, Flashbrook with Batchacre, Outlands, Tunstall, and Bishops Offlow with Outlands.
Parish church: St. Margaret / St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1600
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Adbaston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADBASTON, a township and a parish in the district of Newport-Salop and county of Stafford. The township lies near the Grand Junction canal, 4½ miles W by S of Eccleshall, and 6 SW of Standon-Bridge r. station; and has a post office under Newport-Salop. Real property, £2,329. Pop., 210. Houses, 40. The parish contains also the townships of Flashbrook, Bishops-Offlow, and Tunstall. Acres, 4,560. Real property, £6,895. Pop. 593. Houses, 116. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100. Patron, the Dean of Lichfield. The church is good. Charities, £8. Adbaston gave the title of Viscount to Earl Whitworth.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Abdaston (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Newport, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Eccleshall; comprising the townships of Abdaston, Bishop’s Offlow, Flashbrook and Tunstall, and the hamlet of Knighton, and containing 610 inhabitants, of which number 39 are in the township of Abdaston. It consists of about 4000 acres, divided into nearly equal portions of arable and pasture, with a small quantity of woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean of Lichfield, the appropriator; net income, £100. The tithes have been commuted for £562.10. per annum, and the incumbent receives a rent-charge of £2. 10. In 1724, John Wright bequeathed a small portion of land for the support and education of the poor, and, in 1764, Richard Whitworth gave a house and land for similar purposes.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ABDASTON, or Adbaston, a parish and township in the northern division of the hund. of Pirehill, Newport union, county of Stafford; 43 miles west by south from Eccleshall, and 2 miles north of the Birmingham and Liverpool junction canal. Living, a perpetual curacy in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lichfield; gross income, £100. Patron, the dean of Lichfield. Pop., including that of the townships of Bishop’s Offlow, Flashbrook, with Batchacre and Tunstall, in 1801,407; in 1831, 601. Houses 112. Acres 5,330. A. P. .£3,819. Poor rates, in 1837, £315
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Newport
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Lichfield
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
- Poor Law Union: Newport
- Hundred: North Pirehill
- Province: Canterbury