Acton Trussell, Staffordshire Family History Guide
Acton Trussell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1776 from Berkswich with Walton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Acton Trussell and Bednall, Acton Trussell with Bednall
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1571
Parishes adjacent to Acton Trussell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ACTON-TRUSSELL and BEDNALL, a township chapelry in Baswick parish, Stafford; on the river Trent and the Stafford canal, near Cannock Chase, and near the Northwestern railway, 3 miles N of Penkridge. It has a post office, of the name of Bednall, under Stafford. Acres, 2,547. Real property, £4,782. Pop., 617. Houses, 123. The property is divided among four proprietors. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £234. Patrons, Hulme’s Trustees. The church is in disrepair.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton-Trussell (St. James), a parochial chapelry, in the union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S division of the county of Stafford, 3 ½ miles (N.N.E.) from Penkridge; containing, with Bednall, 574 inhabitants. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal passes through the chapelry, which comprises 2551 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Bednall united; net income, £234; patron and incumbent, Rev. G. F. Molineaux; appropriator, Prebendary of Whittington and Baswick in the Cathedral of Lichfield. There are churches at Acton and Bednall, both ancient edifices, the former in the early English style, and the latter of varied architecture.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ACTON-TRUSSELL, a township and parochial chapelry in the parish of Baswick, county of Stafford; 3 miles north-north-east from Penkridge. Living, a perpetual curacy with that of Bednall united, and a peculiar of the dean of Lichfield; of the certified value of £14, and valued in the parliamentary return at £95; gross income £247. Patron, in 1835, G. Molineux, Esq. The Stafford and Worcestershire canal and river Trent pass through this township. Pop., in 1801, 291; in 1831, with the township of Bednall, 551. Houses 108. Acres 1,400. A. P. £2,698. Poor rates, in 1837, £155.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Penkridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Whittington and Baswich
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Penkridge
- Poor Law Union: Penkridge
- Hundred: East Cuttlestone
- Province: Canterbury