Ashchurch is a township, village, large parish, and railway station, comprising the hamlets of Pamington, Aston-upon-Carrant, Fiddington, Northway, Newton, and Natton. It is pleasantly situated on the high road from Tewkesbury to Winchcomb and Stow, and is a station on the Birmingham and Bristol railway, and junction of the Tewkesbury branch, 128 miles from London, 2¼ east-north east from Tewkesbury, 9 south-west from Evesham, and 8 north-west from Winchcomb, in the lower division of the hundred, union and county court district of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol.
The church of St. Nicholas is a large and ancient building, consisting of nave, porch, chancel, north aisle, and square tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing 6 bells; the interior has a handsome carved oak screen, and an organ. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £258 yearly, held by the Rev. Henry Parr. The register dates from the year 1555. There is a National school for children of both sexes, erected in 1842. Walton House, the neat residence of George Ruddle, Esq., J.P., stands 1 mile west-by- south from Ashchurch. The population in 1861 was 771; the acreage is 4,268. The soil is principally clay. Thomas Wakeman, Esq., is lord of the manor, and William Woodward, Esq., is the chief landowner. There are charities of £25 yearly value.
Pamington is a tithing, village, and hamlet in the parish of, and half a mile south-east from, Aschurch, and 2½ miles east from Tewkesbury.
Aston-upon-Carrant is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and about 1 mile east-north-east from, Ashchurch, and 3 miles north-east from Tewkesbury. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
Fiddington is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and 1 mile and a half south from, Ashchurch, and 2 miles south east from Tewkesbury.
Northway is a tithing and hamlet in the parish of, and half a mile north from, Ashchurch, and 2 miles north-east from Tewkesbury.
Newton is a hamlet adjoining Ashchurch, in Northway tithing.
Natton Is a hamlet in the parish, half a mile south-by-east from Ashchurch, in Fiddington tithing.
Parish Clerk, James Wasley.
Parr Rev. Henry
Ruddle George, esq. j.p. Walton house
Brotheridge Ambrose D. farmer
Greening John , farmer
Greening William, farmer
Peck Thomas, station master
Purser Benjamin, coal merchant, Railway station
Smith Joseph, miller, Cowfield mill
Jackson William, farmer
Osborne Thomas, farmer
Prew Joseph, shopkeeper
Trinder William, farmer
Baldwin Bernard, farmer
Barnett William, farmer
Booth Frederick, shopkeeper & wheelwright
Drinkwater Thomas, Queen’s Head
Rimel Richard, farmer
Smith George, farmer
Smith Thomas, blacksmith
Spiers William, miller
Tombs John, farmer
Walker Job. carpenter
Walker William, blacksmith
Witts Isaac, farmer
Witts Sarah (Miss), shopkeeper
Yeend Charles, farmer
Allington Anthony, beer retailer
Cresswell Thomas, blacksmith
Day William, farmer
Grubb Oliver, farmer
Hailing Anna (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hawkins William, farmer
Hobbs Emma (Mrs.), farmer
Nind Martin F. farmer
Peart Henry Long, farmer
Pike Aaron, farmer
Robins Edwin, farmer
Smith Joseph, farmer
Walker William, beer retailer
Woodward Thomas Best, esq. Northway house
Woodward William, esq. Northway house
Greening John, farmer
Hopton William, farmer, Cowfield farm
Morris George, miller
Powell John, farm bailiff to William Woodward, esq
Woodward Thomas Best, land agent
Woodward William, land agent & valuer
Capel George, farmer
Clayton Joseph, farmer
Purser Benjamin, farmer
Post Office, Aston-upon-Carrant. — Thomas Pearton, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Tewkesbury at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.
Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Wm. Brydges, Tewkesbury
Railway Station, Thomas Peck, station master
National School, Mrs. Annie Foskett, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.