Adlestrop is a parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene
Parish registers begin: 1538
There is a day school for boys and girls and a Sunday school.
Parishes adjacent to Adlestrop
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Addlestrop, a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; on the river Evenlode, 3½ miles ENE of Stow-on-the-Wold. It has a station, with Stow-Road, on the Midland railway. Post-town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 184. Houses, 42. The manor belonged to the abbey of Evesham, passed at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Leigh, and is now the property of Lord Leigh. Addlestrop House, the seat of his lordship, is a large and interesting mansion, partly of considerable antiquity, amid beautiful grounds laid out by Adey Repton. The living is a rectory, united to the rectory of Broadwell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1764, and is in good condition.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Adlestrop, 4 m. N. E. Stow. P. 200
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Adlestrop (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E division of the county of Gloucester, 3 ¾ miles (E by N) from Stow; containing 200 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the road from Stow to Chipping-Norton, and on the south-west by the river Evenlode, and is situated on the borders of Oxfordshire, not far distant from the southern extremity of the county of Warwick. The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to that of Broadwell: the tithes were partially commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1775. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1764. A school for boys is supported at the expense of the rector, and one for girls has a small endowment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Adlestrop, a parochial chapelry in the upper division of Slaughter hund., Stow-in-the-Wold union, Gloucestershire; 3¾ miles east by north from Stow-in-the-Wold. Living, a curacy to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol. Tithes commuted in 1775. There are two daily and Sunday National schools here. Pop., in 1801, 225; in 1831, 196. Houses 40. Acres 1,320. A. P. £2,199. Poor rates, in 1837, £64.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Adlestrop, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stow-in-the-Wold (82¾) 3¾ m. E b N. Pop. 229.
A village in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter; living, a chapelry to the rectory of Broadwell, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; church ded. to St. Mary Magdalen; patron (1829) J. H. Leigh, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Addlesthorp [sic], (Glouc.) a village, pleasantly situated on a gentle, declivity near Stow on the Would and the borders of Oxfordshire. Its church was twice rebuilt in the space of 1 year, in consequence of the builder’s unskilfulness. In the vicinity is Castleton Hill, a Danish camp.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807
Adlestrop or Ædlesthorp Bigland 1786
This parish lies in the hundred of Slaughter, and deanery of Stow, about three miles north-east from the town of Stow, and twenty-nine miles, in the same direction, from Gloucester. It consists of nearly an equal proportion of meadow, pasture, and arable land, the soil being various, in some parts clay, in others loam, and in a few places sand.
The river Evenlode runs near the western side of it, and from thence makes its way to the Isis. The village is pleasantly situated on the slope of a hill fronting the south-west.
In ancient writings this place is called Eadlesthorp, and sometimes Castlethorp: the former name it probably received from the Saxon Єbel, noble, and ðonp a village, or habitation; and the latter from its being near Castle-Barrow, a round fortification, supposed to be Danish, on Castleton-Hill, which lies not far from the verge of the parish. In the charter granted to Egwine Bishop of Worcester, who founded the Abbey of Evesham, about the year 700, the name is written Tiddlestrop.
James Henry Leigh, Esq. the lord of the manor, resides in the old family seat, which is built in the Gothic style, and has been greatly enlarged and repaired.
The living is a rectory; and the church, which is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalen [sic], is annexed to Broadwell. The body and chancel were rebuilt in the year 1764, chiefly at the expence of the late James Leigh, Esq. but the old tower, with battlements, situated at the west end, still remains. There are two cross ailes [sic] in the church, and in the tower five bells.
The inhabitants formerly interred their dead at Broadwell; but, about the year 1590, one of the ancestors of the Leigh family gave them land for a church yard, and procured it to be consecrated. In the year 1670, Doctor Johnson, the rector, built at his own expence, a very large and handsome parsonage-house; which has been much improved by the present rector Thomas Leigh, L.L.B.
Mr. Thomas Barker, formerly an inhabitant of this place, gave 20 shillings a year, to the use of the poor.
Lady Turner, by her will, gave in the year 1770, 50 pounds to the poor.
Fletcher gave 5 pounds, the interest of which is laid out every year, at Easter, in bread for the poor.
|1697 Edw. Wake, M.A.||Theoph Leigh, Esq.|
|1699 Henry Brydges, M.A.||Theoph. Leigh, Esq.|
|1717 Theoph. Leigh, M.A.||Theoph Leigh, Esq.|
|1763 Thomas Leigh, LL.B.||James Leigh, Esq.|
Present Lord of the Manor James Henry Leigh, Esq.
The persons summoned by the Heralds, in 1682 and 1683, from this place, were,
William Leigh, Arm. Just. Theophilus Leigh, Arm. Madam Peniston.
At the Election in 1776, only one Freeholder polled from this parish.
Source: Extracted from Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections, relative to the County of Gloucester – Ralph Bigland 1786.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division:
- Couty Court District: Stow on the Wold