Last Updated on
Selattyn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Porkington and Lower Porkington.
Parish church: St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin: 1556
Parishes adjacent to Selattyn
LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845
Selattyn (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Salop, 3 ¼ miles (NNW) from Oswestry; containing 1128 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5553a. 34p. of land, of which the soil is various; the substratum abounds with limestone, which is burnt for manure, and sandstone of good quality for building is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 9. 9 ½., and in the gift of William Lloyd, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £800, and the glebe comprises 83 acres. The church, an ancient structure, has within the last thirty years been greatly enlarged, and is now a handsome cruciform building. A chapel of ease was erected at Hengoed in 1825. There are two free schools with small endowments; one forming a part of the premises devised by Bishop Hanmer, in 1628, for the poor; and the other erected in 1812, in a more distant part of the parish, on land given by G. H. Carew, Esq. A national school has also been built. Offers Dyke forms part of the western boundary of the parish; and here formerly stood the ancient Castle Brogyntyn, of which there are now scarcely any remains. James Wylding, one of the assembly of divines during the Interregnum, and the noted Dr. Henry Sacheverell, were rectors here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
SHROPSHIRE GAZETTEER 1824
Porkington. A township in the parish of Sellatyn, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The Register of Selattyn, Shropshire 1557 to 1812
Shropshire Parish registers Diocese of St. Asaph Vol. I (1906)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; W. P. W. Phillimore
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Oswestry
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: St Asaph
- Rural Deanery: Oswestry
- Poor Law Union: Oswestry
- Hundred: Oswestry
- Province: Canterbury