Dawley Magna is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1779 from chapelry in Shifnal Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Lightmoor and Dawley Bank.
Parish registers begin: 1666
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Dawley Magna
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Dawley-Magna, a township and a parish in Madeley district, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury canal, and on the Wellington and Severn Junction railway, under the Wrekin, near Horsehay r. station, and 4 miles SE by S of Wellington. It has a post-office of the name of Dawley, under Wellington. The parish includes also Dawley Bank, ¾ of a mile distant, with another post-office there under Wellington; also the townships of Dawley-Parva and Malinslee. Acres, 2,743. Real property, £70,858; of which £37,253 are in ironworks, and £28,442 in mines. Pop., 11,013. Houses, 2,050. The property is divided among a few. Most of the inhabitants are employed in blast furnaces, forges, bar-iron mills, and collieries. Many short railways, for local transit, run among the works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patrons, R. Phillips, Esq., and others. The church is tolerable. The p. curacies of Dawley-Parva and Malinslee are separate benefices. A Wesleyan chapel, of coloured bricks, with stone dressings, at a cost of about £1,200, was built in 1861. There are chapels also for Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists. Charities, £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Dawley Magna Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Dawley Magna. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South, a curacy, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Newport, and archdeaconry of Salop. 996 houses, 5,147 inhabitants. 4 miles south-east of Wellington. The parish of Dawley has two large coal and ironworks.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Dawley Universal British Directory 1791
The parish of Dawley, which is situated north of Madeley, has tow large coal and iron works, one of which belongs to Messrs. Francis and John Humphrey, and the other to Isaac Hawkins Brown, Esq. of Bagsore, and Mr. Thomas Botfield, of this place. Here is also an iron-furnace and several forges, belonging to William Reynolds, Esq
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Madeley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Shifnal
- Poor Law Union: Madeley
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury