Last Updated on

Cound is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Golding, Upper Cound, Lower Cound, and Harnage.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1608

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Cound

Historical Descriptions

Cound

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

COUND, a village, a parish, and a division in Salop. The village stands near the river Severn, 3¾ miles E by S of Condover r. station, and 6½ SE by S of Shrewsbury. The parish is in Atcham district; and includes the chapelry of Cressage, which has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 5,530. Real property, £8,330. Pop., 908. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. Cound Hall is the seat of the Pelhams. Coal is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; and, till 1864, was united with Cressage. Value, £650. Patron, the Rev. H. T. Pelham. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and there are charities £12.  The division is part of Condover hundred; and contains seven parishes. Acres, 19,684. Pop., 2,877. Houses, 540.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Cound. A parish in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover, a rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. The parish of Cound, including Cressage chapelry, contains 135 houses, 799 inhabitants. 6 miles south-east of Shrewsbury. Cound Lodge is the seat of J. C. Pelham, Esq., M.P.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Golding

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Golding. A township in the parish of Cound, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. 6 ½ miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Harnage

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Harnage; or Harnage Grange. A township in the parish of Cound, and in the Cound division of the hundred of Condover. 8 miles southeast of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Cound Parish Registers 1562-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. II (1901)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; W. P. W. Phillimore

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Cound Parish Registers 1562-1812 – Archive.org

Transcriptions

Cound Marriages 1800 to 1812

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1810 to 1812

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1807 to 1809

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1804 to 1806

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1800 to 1803

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1797 to 1799

Cound Baptisms and Burials 1794 to 1796

Directories

Cound Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Cound Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Condover
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: Condover
  • Province: Canterbury