Last Updated on

Culmington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.

Other places in the parish include: Bache and Norton, Siefton, and Burley.

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin: 1579

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Culmington

Historical Descriptions

Culmington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CULMINGTON, a township and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 3 miles NE of Onibury r. station, and 4½ N by W of Ludlow. The parish includes also the townships of Burley, Siefton, and Bache and Norton; and its post town is Bromfield, Salop. Acres, 3,476. Real property, £4,933. Pop., 517. Houses, 104. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £800. Patron, W. J. Clement, Esq. The church is old but good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Culmington (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 5 ½ miles (N. by W.) from Ludlow; containing 541 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 3500 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £18. 9. 2.; net income, £605; patron and incumbent, Rev. W. Johnstone. A school is supported by B. Hounders, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Culmington Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Culmington. A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, a rectory remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 5 ½ miles north-west by north of Ludlow. 95 houses, 569 inhabitants. There is a considerable increase in the population of Culmington parish; which is partly attributed to a school having been established, chiefly for the education of the children of farmers; the parents for the most part residing in other parishes.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Bache and Norton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Bache and Norton, a township in Culmington parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles SE of Church-Stretton. Pop., 38.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Batch and Norton. A township in the parish of Culmington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 5 miles north-west of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Burley

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Burley. A township in the parish of Culmington, and in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 ½ miles north of Ludlow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Directories

Culmington Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Poll Books

Culmington, Shropshire, Poll Book 1865

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ludlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ludlow
  • Poor Law Union: Ludlow
  • Hundred: Munslow
  • Province: Canterbury