Cockshutt is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1742 from chapelry in Ellesmere Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1772
Parishes adjacent to Cockshutt
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COCKSHUTT, a township and a chapelry in Ellesmere parish, Salop. The township is joined to Crosemere; lies 2 miles S of the Ellesmere canal, 4 miles N of Baschurch r. station, and 5½ W of Wem; has a post office under Shrewsbury; and is a seat of petty sessions. Rated property, £6,776. Pop., 434. The property is subdivided. The chapelry was constituted recently; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Cockshut, a chapelry in the parish of Ellesmere, county of Salop; 4½ miles south-south-east of Ellesmere. Living, a curacy in the vicarage of Ellesmere, not in charge, returned at £90; gross income £88. Patron, the vicar of Ellesmere. The petty sessions for the hundred are held here.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Cockshut and Crosemere Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Cockshut, and Crosemere. A township in the parish of Ellesmere, and in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill. Cockshut is chapel to Ellesmere, and is in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. Cockshut is 4 miles, and Crosemere 3 miles, south-east of Ellesmere.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Ellesmere
- Poor Law Union: Ellesmere
- Hundred: Pimhill
- Province: Canterbury