Bucknell Herefordshire & Shropshire Family History Guide

Bucknell is an Ancient Parish mostly in Shropshire and partly in Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Buckton with Coxall, Heath and Jay.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1598

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Bucknell

Historical Descriptions

Bucknell

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BUCKNELL, a township and a parish in the district of Knighton; the former in the county of Salop: the latter partly also in the county of Hereford. The township lies on the river Teme, adjacent to the Knighton railway, 4½ miles ENE of Knighton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leintwardine. Acres, 2,730. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 622. Houses, 108. The parish includes also the township of Buckton and Coxall. Acres, 4,160. Real property, with Brampton-Brian and Pedwardine, £10,230. Pop., 790. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Buckton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £332. Patron, the Grocers’ Company, London. The church is good. Charities, £18.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bucknell Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Bucknell. A parish in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow, a chapelry in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. This parish is partly in Wigmore hundred, county of Hereford. The entire parish contains 465 inhabitants. The Shropshire part contains 57 houses, 331 inhabitants. 9 ¼ miles south-east by south of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Buckton

Alternative names: Buckton with Coxall

Buckton with Coxall is a township, in the parish of Bucknell, Shropshire, in the Leominster division of the county, Wigmore hundred, Leominster and Wigmore rural district, Knighton county court district and petty sessional division.

Alternative names: Buckton with Coxall

Church: St. James (erected in 1877) inhabitants chiefly attend the churches of Bucknell and Brampton Bryan.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Buckton. A township in the parish of Bucknell, and in the Stow division of the hundred of Purslow. 10 ½ miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Poll Books

Bucknell Shropshire Poll Book 1865

Directories

Buckton Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941

Bucknell Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Knighton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Knighton
  • Hundred: Purslow
  • Province: Canterbury