Last Updated on

Woore is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1760 from chapelry in Mucklestone (Staffordshire) Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Bearston, Dorrington, Gravenhunger, Gravenhanger.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1831

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Woore

St Leonard's parish church, Woore, Shropshire
St Leonard’s parish church, Woore, Shropshire, seen from the southwest. Attribution: Steve Parkin / St Leonard’s Church, Woore / CC BY-SA 2.0

Historical Descriptions

Woore

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WOORE, or Wore, a township and a chapelry in Mucclestone parish, Salop. The township lies 2¾ miles WSW of Madeley r. station, and 6¾ NE of Market-Drayton; and has a post-office under Market-Drayton. Acres, 5,291. Pop., 783. Houses, 169. The chapelry was constituted in 1841. Pop., 839. Houses, 184. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £96. Patron, G. Kenrick, Esq. The church was built in 1830. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Woore, or Wore, a chapelry in that part of the parish of Mucklestone which is in the Drayton division of the hund. of Bradford (North), union of Market-Drayton, county of Salop; 6¾ miles north-north-east of Drayton-in-Hales. It includes the townships of Bearston, Dorrington, and Gravenhanger. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Lichfield; certified at £18, returned at £27; gross income £50. Patron, in 1841, Sir D. Mackworth. Acreage with the parish. Houses 72. Pop., in 1831, 400. Poor rates, in 1838, £264.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Dorrington

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Dorrington, a township in Woore chapelry, Mucclestone parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles NE of Market-Drayton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gravenhunger

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Gravenhanger [sic], a township in Mucclestone parish, Salop; adjacent to Staffordshire and Cheshire, 6 ½ miles NE of Market-Drayton. Pop., 148

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Eccleshall
  • Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
  • Hundred: North Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury