Waters Upton, or Upton Parva, is a parish and village, five miles north from Wellington, situate on the river Tern and the road from Wellington to Hodnet. It is in the Hundred of South Bradford, the rural deanery of Edgmond, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield. The area is about 730 acres, and the population in 1801 was 169, in 1841 it had risen to 228, whilst in 1901 it was 194.
Alternative names: Upton Parva, Upton-Waters
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1547
Parishes adjacent to Waters Upton
- Bolas Magna
- Ercall Magna
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Upton-Waters (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wellington, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Wellington; containing 228 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 732 acres, is separated by the river Tern from the parish of High Ercal; and the village, situated on elevated ground, is intersected by the road between Wellington and Market-Drayton. A common red stone is quarried for building purposes. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 17. 3 ½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £135, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church is a small neat edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Waters Upton Parish Registers 1547-1812
Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XIII (1913)
Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society
General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher
Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Shropshire)
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Newport
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: South Bradford
- Province: Canterbury