Last Updated on

Wroxeter is charmingly situated on elevated ground, near the eastern banks of the Severn, and is surrounded by a rich and beautiful country; it is a parish of the supremest interest, because of the great associations which belong to it owing to the Roman occupation of Shropshire; it lies six miles southeast from Shrewsbury, and is in the hundred of South Bradford, rural deanery of Wrockwardine, archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield. It comprises the townships of Wroxeter, Donnington, Dryton, Eyton-on-Severn, Norton and Rushton; and it contains within its area the site of the ancient city of Uriconium, which covered about one hundred and seventy acres. Its total area is 5,953 acres, and its population in 1801 was 544, and in 1901, 499 in the ecclesiastical and 566 in the civil parish.

Source: Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XI (1911). Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1613

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Wroxeter

Historical Descriptions

Wroxeter

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WROXETER, a village and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on Watling-street and on the river Severn, 2¾ miles SSE of Upton-Magna r. station, 3¾ W of the Wrekin, and 5¾ SE by E of Shrewsbury; was known to the ancient British as Caer-Vrauch, -to the Romans as Uriconium, to the Saxons as Wrecinceastre; has most interesting remains of a Roman town, once 3 miles in circuit, and defended by a rampart 9 feet thick; has yielded great numbers and great variety of interesting Roman relics; is believed to possess rich wealth of other Roman relics underground, and capable of recovery by excavation; was, for a considerable time, the capital of the Cornavii; suffered devastation by the Saxons and the Danes; forms the subject of many learned papers in various periodicals, and of a recent work entitled “A Guide to Uriconium;” and has a post-office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes five townships, and comprises 4,774 acres. Real property, £5,670. Pop., 616. Houses, 120. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland; and much of the property to Lord Berwick. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is good; and there are an endowed grammar-school with £50 a year, and charities £7.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Donnington

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Donnington. A township in the parish of Wroxeter, and in the Wellington division of Bradford, South. 4 miles north-east of Wellington.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eyton upon Severn

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eyton-upon-Severn, a township in Wroxeter parish, Salop; on the river Severn, 5 ½ miles NW by N of Much-Wenlock.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Eyton-upon-Severn, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Wroxeter, county of Salop; 5½ miles north-west by north of Much-Wenlock. Living, a curacy to the vicarage of Wroxeter. Returns with the parish

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Eyton-Upon-Severn, a chapelry, in the parish of Wroxeter, union of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 6¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Much Wenlock. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Eyton and Dryton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eyton and Dryton. A township in the parish of Wroxeter, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 7 miles south-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824.

Norton

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Norton. A township in the parish of Wroxeter, and ill the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 5 ½ miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Wroxeter Parish Registers

Wroxeter Parish Registers 1613-1812

Shropshire Parish Registers Diocese of Lichfield Vol. XI (1911)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society

General editor; 1900-1906, W.P.W. Phillimore; 1907- W.G.D. Fletcher

Publisher: Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society

Wroxeter Parish Registers 1613-1812

Church records

Bishop’s transcripts for Wroxeter, 1631-1867

Parish chest records, 1683-1921

Parish poor law records, 1658-1851

Parish registers for Wroxeter, 1618-1900

Registers of Wroxeter

Church records – Indexes

Computer printout of Wroxeter, Shrops., Eng

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions of St. Andrew’s Church, Wroxeter, Shropshire, 1702-1969

Census

Census returns for Wroxeter, 1841-1891

Poorhouses, poor law, etc.

Parish chest records, 1683-1921

Parish poor law records, 1658-1851

Schools

School records for Wroxeter and Uppington, 1876-1967

Directories

Wroxeter Cassey Shropshire Directory 1875

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Wellington
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs