Last Updated on

Baschurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire. Little Ness is a chapelry of Baschurch.

Other places in the parish include: Birch, Yeaton, Bratton, Eyton, Fenemere, Walford, Eyton, Yeaton and Prescott, Fennemere, Merehouse, Murhouse, Newton, Newtown, Prescott, Stanwardine in the Fields, Stanwardine in the Wood, Walford, Weston Lullingfield, Weston Lullingfields, and Boreatton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1600

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Baschurch

Historical Descriptions

Baschurch

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BASCHURCH, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ellesmere, Salop. The township lies on the river Perry, near the Ellesmere canal and the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, 8 miles NW of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes also the townships of Little Ness, Birch, Boreatton or Bratton, Eyton, Fennemere, Merehouse, or Murhouse, Newtown, Prescott, Stanwardine-in-the-Wood, Stanwardine-in-the-Fields, Walford, Weston-Lullingfield, and Yeaton. Acres, 8,273. Real property, £15,791. Pop., 1,559. Houses, 320. The property is subdivided. There are traces of a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £203. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. The vicarage of Weston Lullingfield is a separate benefice. Harris’s school has an endowed income of £324, and other charities have £17. The subdistrict comprises four parishes. Acres, 21,283. Pop., 3,435. Houses, 712.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Baschurch, 7½ m. N.W. Shrewsbury. P. 1491

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Baschurch, a parish in the hund. of Pimhill, county of Salop; 7 miles north-west of Shrewsbury. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry; rated at £10 16s. Patron, the Crown. The great and small tithes of the manors of Baschurch, Hordley, Stanwardine-in-the-wood, Weston, Lullingfield, and Hanward-in-the-Fields, the property of the clerical rector, lay-impropriators and vicar, were commuted in 1777. There are here three daily schools, two of which and an infant school are endowed, and belong to the same foundation: the endowment arises from land let at a time price rent of about £400 per annum, out of which many of the scholars are clothed and apprenticed. There are here some traces of a Roman camp. Pop., in 1801, 1,059; in 1831, 1,321. Houses 214. Acres 8,490. A. P. £9,461. Poor rates, in 1837, £635

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Baschurch, Boreatton and Birch

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Baschurch, Boreatton and Birch. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. Baschurch is a vicarage discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 207 houses, 1,277 inhabitants. 7 miles south-west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eyton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eyton, a township in Baschurch parish, Salop; 6 ½ miles SW of Wem. Pop., 56.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eyton. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill; near Fenemere. 6 miles south-west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Fenemore or Fennymere

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Fenemore or Fennymere. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 5 miles south-west of Wem.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Fitchell

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Fitchell. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Mirebank

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Mirebank. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the hundred of Pimhill.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Mirehouse or Merehouse and Newtown

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Mirehouse or Merehouse and Newtown. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the hundred of Pimhill.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Newtown and Merehouse or Mirehouse

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Newtown and Merehouse or Mirehouse. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles northwest of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Prescot

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Prescot. A township in the parish of Baschurch, and in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill. 7 miles north-west of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ellesmere
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Ellesmere
  • Poor Law Union: Ellesmere
  • Hundred: Pimhill
  • Province: Canterbury