Acton Round Shropshire Family History Guide
Acton Round is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1731 from chapelry in Much Wenlock Ancient Parish.
Places included in Acton Round parish: Muckley
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1713
Parishes adjacent to Acton Round
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acton-Round, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; near Wenlock Edge, 5 miles W by S of Linley r. station, and 6½ WNW of Bridgnorth. Post-town, Burton under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 2,126. Rated property, £1,400. Pop., 173. Houses, 36. Sir F. R. E. Acton, Bart., of Aldenham Hall, is the chief proprietor; and Cardinal Acton belonged to his family. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £85. Patron, Sir F. R. E. Acton. The church is ancient and cruciform, has a small tower, contains three fine monuments of the Acton family, and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acton-Round, 5½ m. N.W. Bridgenorth. P. 180
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton Round, a parish, in the union of Bridgenorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 3 ¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Much Wenlock, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgenorth; containing 180 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Much Wenlock to Bridgenorth, comprises by computation 2126a. 2r. 26p. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patron and impropriator, Sir John Acton, Bart. Certain tithes were commuted for land under an inclosure act in 1773: there are about 25 acres of glebe, of which 14 are near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire, and 11 in the parish of Stottesden. The church is a neat edifice, of which the walls are ornamented with monuments to the memory of the Actons, by one of whom, Sir Richard, the chancel was built in 1761.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acton-Round, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, Shropshire; 3 miles south from Much-Wenlock. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; valued in the parliamentary return at £59; gross in come £74. Patron, in 1835, Sir R. Acton. Pop., in 1801, 200; in 1831, 203. Houses 37. Acres, 3,040. A. P. £1,110. Poor rates, in 1837, £81.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Acton Round. A township in the parish of Much Wenlock, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden. 3 miles south of Much Wenlock. 38 homes, 214 inhabitants.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Shropshire Parish Documents 1902
(The living of Acton Round is vacant at present)
Documents in the custody of the Parish Meeting. – Kept at the house of the Clerk, viz :-
Parish Meeting Minute Book.
Parish Meeting Stamp.
Certain Documents relating to the Parish Charity.
Documents in the custody of the Churchwarden. – Kept in an oak chest in the Vestry, viz :-
General Register, 1713 – 1799.
Register of Baptisms and Burials, 1800 – 1812
Register of Baptisms, 1813 – in use
Register of Marriages, 1768 – 1814.
Register of Marriages, 1814 – 1837.
Register of Marriages, 1837 – in use.
Register of Burials, 1813 – in use.
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1674 – 1752
Churchwardens’ Account Book, 1752 – 1796
Source: Shropshire Parish Documents published 1902. A report of the Inspection of Parish Documents made to Salop County Council under section 17 of the Local Government Act 1894. Note: The location of the documents listed in this transcription are as cited in the book published in 1902 and should be used as a guide only. It should not be assumed that the documents are still kept at the stated location. Interested parties should perhaps contact Shropshire records office to ascertain the documents current whereabouts.
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury