King’s Norton (with Balsall Heath, King’s Heath, Moseley and Wythall) 1855
KING’S NORTON is a very large parish (formerly a market town), situate about 5 miles from Birmingham, and containing, with the above places, a population of 7,759 inhabitants.
King’s Norton received the grant of a market from James I, but it has long since fallen into disuse, and in the reign of Charles I., 1654, Hawkesley House, then belonging to the Middlemore family, was burnt down by the Royalists.
BALSALL HEATH is a very populous locality, adjoining the borough of Birmingham.
KING’S HEATH is situate about 2 miles N.E.
MOSELEY is a very extensive village, about 2 miles from Birmingham, and is a highly respectable neighbourhood. It is distinct for ecclesiastical purposes, but subject to the parish in all parochial affairs.
WYTHALL is a large chapelry to King’s Norton, about 8 miles from Birmingham; the population is returned with the parish.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a very fine old structure, in the decorated style of English architecture. It has a massive square tower, with eight bells, and a lofty, handsome, ornamented spire. Rev. Joseph Amphlett, M.A., Vicar; Mr Isaac Clulee, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m., and 3 p.m.
The DISTRICT CHURCH, Balsall Heath, is a very handsome edifice. Rev. W. B. Benison, Incumbent; Mr. Thomas Robins, Clerk.
The CHURCH, Moseley, is a large and commodious structure, situate about in the centre of the village. Rev. J. R. Davison, Incumbent; Mr. Thomas Averill, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 30 p.m.
The CHURCH, at Wythall, is a brick edifice, with a small tower and one bell. Rev. Launcelot C. Bathurst, Incumbent; Mr. R. Pountney, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. There are two Chapels at King’s Norton, one for the BAPTISTS, and one for the METHODISTS. No stated Ministers. Service – 2 30 and 6 p.m.
There are two CHAPELS at Wythall, belonging to the BAPTISTS and UNITARIANS. Service – 10 30 a.m. and 2 30 p.m.
There was a FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL founded at King’s Norton, by Edward VI., but the privileges have been in a great measure lost. Mr. Thomas Simpson, Master.
There is an INFANT SCHOOL, lately erected, at King’s Heath. Elizabeth Meaby, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 30.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL, Moseley, is about a quarter of a mile from the village. It is supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mr. G Sansome, Master. Average number of Scholars, 100.
There is a SCHOOL at Wythall, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Esther Pountney, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 40.
There is a COUNTY POLICE STATION at King’s Norton. Richard Edwards, Officer.
There is also a COUNTY POLICE STATION at King’s Heath. Richard Humphries, Officer.
There is a UNION WORKHOUSE in the parish. Mr. George Thurlow, Governor; Mrs. Thurlow, Matron; Rev. Joseph Amphlett, Chaplain; Mr. Thomas Lowe, Surgeon; Miss Elizabeth Ratcliffe, Schoolmistress; Mr. Ralph Docker, Clerk. Board day, Wednesday, fortnightly.
Amphlett Rev. Jos., Vicar
Baldwin Jas., Esq., Magistrate, Cotteridge
Ellis Mr. John, Wichall House
Gem Miss, Brandwood End
Holt Mr. William, Junction
Lee Mr. Richard
Miles Mr. Wm., Bredon House
Nash Mr. John, Lifford House
Prosser Mrs., High House
Richards Mr. Charles, Tysall House
Stock Joseph, Esq., Barnbrook Hall
Allen Joseph, farmer
Allen William, farmer, Upper Inkford
Ashmore George, famrer, Lindworth Hill
Avery Isaac, carrier
Avery Thomas, farmer and maltster, Haunch Farm
Barber John, dairyman
Barnes Joseph, tailor
Berwick Thomas, farrier and farmer, Kingswood
Boston Charles, saddler
Brant George, grocer and miller
Brant Isaac, coal dealer
Bridgens Henry, farmer, Brandwood End
Bryan James, farmer, Dadd’s Lane
Bushell Thomas, farmer
Bushell William, farmer, Walker’s Heath
Cash Joseph, farmer, Red House Farm
Chinn William, farmer, Row Heath
Clulee Isaac, carpenter, shopkeeper, Parish Clerk, and Registrar of Births and Deaths
Clulee James, builder
Cooper William, farmer
Corbett Wiliam, farmer, Hollywood House
Crutchley George, farmer
Deadicott John, farmer, Wichall Farm
Deakin William, and Son, gun-barrel makers and cutlers
Edwards Richard, police constable
Edkins George, farmer, Lilly Croft
Ellis Charles, and Sons, Wichall Rolling Mills
Evans Abraham, beer retailer and butcher, Boat
Foster Elizabeth, beer retailer
Foster Richard, beer retailer, Old Bell
Foster Roger, shopkeeper and shoe maker
Hadley Thomas, wheelwright
Hems Richard, tailor
Hems William, tailor
Hobbis William, beer retailer and coal dealer, Plumbers’ Arms
Humphries William, farmer, Strutley st
Huskisson Charles, farmer, Hazelwell Hall
Izon John P., surveyor
Jordan Arthur, shopkeeper and beer retailer, British Oak
Knowles James, farmer and butcher
Knowles Thomas, shopkeeper
Lamb Charles, butcher and shopkeeper
Lane Thomas, farmer, Moundsley Hall
Lawrence Joseph, blacksmith, Strutley st
Lea Mary F., victualler, Saracen’s Head
Lester George, farmer
Lilley William, farmer, Money Hill Hall
Lilley William, farmer, West Heath
Lovelace William, shopkeeper and school-master, Strutley st
Manton H. Y., farmer, Alcester Lane End
Marshall Joseph, farmer
Miller Joseph, farmer, Hedley Heath
Nash George, shopkeeper and baker
Newey William, carrier
Petford Felix, farmer, Oakes
Phillips John, farmer, New House
Phillips John, wheelwright
Phipps Henry, farmer, Holly Moor
Phipps Henry, victualler and brickmaker, Three Horse Shoes
Pinfold Mr., miller, Hurst Mill
Powers John, farmer, Alcester Lane End
Pritchett John, Assistant Overseer
Rogers John, victualler, Navigation
Roston John, beer retailer, Black Lion, Strutley st
Sergeant Isaac, beer retailer, Hazelwell Tavern
Saxelby Thomas, farmer, Kingswood
Simms William, farmer, Warstock Farm
Smith James, shoe maker
Smith Mrs., blacksmith
Thompson Joseph, painter
Tongue Edward, victualler and blacksmith, Bull’s Head
Twigg Sophia, farmer, Ivy House
Waldron John, farmer, Ford House
Wallace William, shopkeeper
Warden John, Metal Rolling Mill
Wheildon Joseph, shopkeeper
Wheildon Thomas, farmer, Malt House Farm
The Post Office, King’s Norton, is in the centre of the village. Elizabeth Simpson, Sub Postmistress. Delivery, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.
Source: Billing’s Directory of Worcestershire 1855