Altham, Lancashire Family History
Altham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1723 from chapelry in Whalley Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Altham with Skykeside
Other places in the parish include: Sykeside.
Parish church: St James
Parish registers begin: 1596
Parishes adjacent to Altham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALTHAM, a township-chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Henburn river, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1 mile N of Huncoat r. station, and 5 W of Burnley. It includes the village of Sykeside; and its Post Town is Accrington. Acres, 1,406. Real property, £2,580. Pop., 410. Houses, 75. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, R. T. R. Walton, Esq. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1859.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Altham, a chapelry in the parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, co. -palatine of Lancaster; 5 miles west of Burnley. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Chester; rated at £11 15s. 8d.; gross income £117. Patron, in 1835, R. T. W. Walton. There are a daily and a Sunday school here. Pop., in 1801, 328; in 1831, 413. Houses 67. Acres 1,160. A. P. £2,975. Poor rates, in 1837, £110.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Altham 1596-1695 – UK Genealogy Archives – Free
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Burnley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Whalley
- Poor Law Union: Burnley
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York