Last Updated on
Aldingham was an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire, now in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria. It is situated on the east coast of the Furness peninsula, facing into Morecambe Bay, and is about 8 miles east of Barrow-in-Furness, and 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Ulverston.
Other places in the parish include: Gleaston, Birkrig Common, Upper and Lower Aldingham, Glaston, and Leece.
Parish church: St Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
The register of marriages begins in 1542, that of burials in 1553, and that of baptisms in 15611.
Parishes adjacent to Aldingham
- Dalton in Furness
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALDINGHAM, a parish in Ulverstone district, Lancashire; on Morecambe bay, 4 miles E of Furness Abbey r. station, and 5 S by W of Ulverstone. It includes the divisions of Gleaston and Leece. Post Town, Bardsea under Ulverstone. Acres, 4,694. Real property, £8,497. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 186. The property is much sub-divided. Much land formerly in the parish has been carried off by the sea. Gleaston Castle, now a ruin of three towers, with connecting walls, was a seat of the Flemings, and of the Duke of Suffolk, the father of Lady Jane Grey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £1,093. Patron, the Crown. The church is very good. The p. curacy of Dendron is a separate benefice. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Aldingham (Upper and Lower), two united parishes and townships in the hund. of Lonsdale, north of the sands, union of Ulverstone, co.-palatine of Lancaster; 5¾ miles south of Ulverstone. The lower division is situated on Morecombe bay. It contains the townships of Upper and Lower Aldingham, Glaston, and Leece. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Richmond and dio. of Chester; rated at £39 19s. 2d.; gross income £1,183. Patron, the Crown. There are charities to the poor, and for educational purposes, in this parish, to the amount of about £16 yearly. Pop., in 1801, 633; in 1831, 884. Houses 155. Acres 4,680. A. P. £4,800. Poor rates, in 1837, £321. Of the two united townships, the pop. of Upper Aldingham, in 1821, was 291; Lower Aldingham, 115. — This parish was formerly of much greater extent. In West’s Antiquities of Furness, it is stated that “the encroachments of the sea have been progressive; for great part of the parish of Aldingham has been swept away within these few centuries. There is a tradition in Furness, that the church of Aldingham stood in the centre of the parish; at present it is within reach of a high tide. It is within the memory of man that some parts of the ruins of a village, called Low Scales, was visible on the sands; and the villages of Crinleton and Rose, which the first Sir Michael le Fleming exchanged with the monks of Bardsey, are only known in record.”
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
The Registers of Aldingham in Furness 1542-1695 – UK Genealogy Archives
Family History Links
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Furness
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
- Poor Law Union: Ulverston
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York
- ‘The parish of Aldingham’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1914), pp. 320-328. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/pp320-328 [accessed 30 January 2019]. ↩