Hailes, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Hailes is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1837 from a chapelry in Didbrook Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1814
Parishes adjacent to Hailes
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAILES, or HAYLES, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 SE of Beckford r. station. Post-town, Winchcomb under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,520. Real property, £2,705. Pop., 102. Houses, 17. The manor belonged anciently to Osgot, the Saxon; and belongs now to Lord Sudeley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1246, by Richard, Earl of Cornwall; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Seymour: and passed to the Marquis of Northampton and the Tracies. Some interesting remains of the abbey are still standing. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Hailes, a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Winchcomb; containing 120 inhabitants. Richard, Earl of Cornwall, afterwards King of the Romans and Emperor of Germany, established a Cistercian abbey in the year 1246, the greater part of which was destroyed by fire in 1271, but was restored by the founder at an expense of 8000 marks; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenues we’re returned at £357. 7. 8.; there are still some remains. The parish comprises 1500 computed acres, of which about 250 are wood, and the remainder chiefly pasture, with a due portion of arable land. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The following newspapers cover the area.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury