Great Barrington Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Great Barrington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Part of Great Barrington formed part of Berkshire until October, 1844, when, under the Act of 7 & 8 Vict., c. 61, it became for all purposes part of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew, St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1547
Parishes adjacent to Great Barrington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Barrington (Great), a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NW of Burford, and 7 SW of Shipton r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Barrington, under Faringdon. Acres, 2,983. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 496. Houses, 107. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, prior to the Conquest, to Earl Harold; and belongs now to Lord Dynevor. The present mansion on it is an elegant modern edifice, within a park about 3 miles in circuit; and a previous mansion was built in 1734 by Lord Chancellor Talbot, and soon afterwards destroyed by fire. Quarries of excellent freestone are worked; and supplied the material for Blenheim House and for the restoration of Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £221. Patron, Lord Dynevor. The church is a handsome building, with pinnacled tower; was erected in the time of Henry VII.; and has monuments of Captain Edward Bray and Lord Chancellor Talbot. Charities, £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The British Gazetteer 1852
Barrington (Great), Gloucester, a parish partly in the hund. of Farringdon, union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Berks, and partly in tho lower division of the hund. of Slaughter, Gloucestershire: 87 miles from London (coach road 76), 4 from Burford, 7 from Northleach. Gt. West. Rail, through Oxford to Ascott station, thence 6 miles: from Derby, through Birmingham and Worcester to Ascott, &c, 114 miles. Money orders issued at Burford: London letters delivd. 10 a.m.: post closes 5 p.m. The church is a handsome structure of the time of Henry VII., and stands in the county of Gloucester. In 1783, the Countess of Talbot bequeathed £400 to the parish, and there are several minor charities. In the church, among other monuments are one to Captain Bray, whose effigy is in the Elizabethan fashion, and is remarkable from having the sword on the right thigh. Tradition says he so wore it, having in sorrow, for killing a man at Tilbury camp, vowed never again to use his right hand. Another, by Nollekins, to Mary Countess Talbot. The chancellor lies here, but there is no monument to him. There are quarries of admirable freestone, much of which was used in the reparation of Westminster Abbey, and in the erection of Blenheim House. The living, a dischd. vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, is valued at £7. 6s. 8d.: pres. net income, £221: patron, Lord Dynevor: pres. incumbent, Thomas Lewes, 1820: contains 2,580 acres: 112 houses: pop. in 1841, 553: probable pop. in 1849, 635: assd. prop. £1,297: poor rates in 1837, £252. Tithes commuted in 1759. The manorial hall was built by the Lord Chancellor Talbot, in 1734, on his buying the property from tho Brays, who had held it for nearly two centuries. From him it has descended to Lord Dynevor, the present lord of tho manor. It is situated in a spacious well-timbered park, on rising ground above the river Winrush.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barrington (Great), a parish, partly in the hund. of Farringdon, union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Berks, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, Gloucestershire; 4 miles north west of Burford. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £7 6s. 8d.; gross income £222; in 1835, in the patronage of Lord Dynevor. Tithes commuted in 1759. The church stands in the county of Gloucester, and is a handsome building, with a tower terminating in battlements and pinnacles. It is supposed to have been erected in the time of Henry VII. There are here three daily and two Sunday schools. In 1783, Mary, countess of Talbot, bequeathed £400 to the poor of this parish. There are a few other small charities. Here are quarries of excellent freestone, which was used in the reparation of Westminster abbey and erection of Blenheim house. Pop., in 1801, 348; in 1831, 532. Houses 112. Acres 2,580. A. P. £1,297. Poor rates, in 1837, £252
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
The following newspapers cover the Great Barrington area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division:
- Couty Court District: