Great Washbourne, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Great Washbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1757
Parishes adjacent to Great Washbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WASHBOURNE (Great), a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 4 miles E by N of Ashchurch r. station, and 4½ NNW of Winchcomb. Post town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres, 470. Real property, £1,125. Pop., 83. Houses, 24. The manor belongs to R. Prance, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev.Covey. The church is ancient.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Washbourne (Great), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Tewkesbury, union of Winchcomb, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles north-north-west of Winchcomb. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £3 15s., returned at £45; gross income £59. Tithes commuted in 1809. Patron, in 1841, J. B. Smith, Esq. No school in the parish in 1833. Acres 470. Houses 18. A.P. £1,215. Pop., in 1801, 89; in 1831, 87. Poor rates, in 1838, £36.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
The following newspapers cover the Great Washbourne area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Tewkesbury
- Province: Canterbury