Great Witcombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Great Witcomb, Witcombe, Whitcombe, Witcombe Magna
Parish registers begin: 1749
Parishes adjacent to Great Witcombe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITCOMBE (Great), a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 5½ miles SSW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, 918. Real property, £1,629. Pop., 165. Houses, 37. The manor, with W. House, belongs to Lady Cromie. Roman pavements, baths, coins, and indications of a villa, were found in 1819. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patron, Lady Cromwell. The church is old.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following newspapers cover the Great Witcombe area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury