Last Updated on
Yardley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Acocks Green, Marston, Hay Mills and Hall Green.
Parish church: St. Edburgh
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Yardley
- Kings Norton
- Yardley Wood
- Bordesley Holy Trinity
- Ward End
- Castle Bromwich
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Yardley, a parish in the district of Solihull and county of Worcester; 4 miles E of Birmingham. It contains Stechford r. station in the N, and Acocks Green r. station in the S; is traversed by the Warwick and Birmingham canal; and has a post-office under Birmingham. Acres, 7,355. Real property, £25,252. Pop., in 1851, 2,753; in 1861, 3,848. Houses, 775. The manor has belonged since 1768 to the family of Taylor. There are many good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £625. Patron, Mrs. M Severne. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Marston and the vicarage of Yardley Wood and Acocks-Green are separate benefices; and the first and the second have been separately noticed; while the third was constituted so late as 1867. A handsome new Independent chapel, with tower and spire, is at Acocks-Green; another Independent chapel is at Rushall-Lane; the Independent theological college, noticed in our article on Moseley, is at Wake Green; and there are an endowed grammar-school with £100 a-year, another endowed school with £70, a national school, and charities about £800.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Yardley (St. Edburgh), a parish, in the union of Solihull, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, Northfield and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (E.) from Birmingham; containing 2825 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Birmingham to Coventry, and is separated from the county of Warwick by a small rivulet. It comprises 6513a. 28p., of which 1809 acres are arable, 3889 pasture and meadow, 8 woodland, and the remainder canal, roads, and waste; the soil is a stiff loam, under which are extensive beds of clay. Great quantities of excellent red tiles are made, and conveyed to Birmingham, whence they are sent to various parts of the kingdom. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £9. 19. 4½.; net income, £463; patrons and impropriators, the family of Greswolde. The church exhibits various specimens of the early and later English styles; a gallery containing 100 free sittings, was erected in 1823. At Yardley Wood, in the parish, a church was built in 1844. The inhabitants have, from a very early period, enjoyed the benefit of certain lands and rent-charges granted to trustees for their use by different benefactors ; the revenue amounts to £833.19., appropriated to the maintenance of two schools, in paying house-rent for poor parishioners, repairs of the church and bridges, a distribution of bread and money twice a year, and apprenticing children. Job Marston, in 1703, bequeathed property for building and endowing a chapel at Hall Green; the rental amounts to £130; and the chapel, which was consecrated by Bishop Lloyd on the 25th of May, 1704, is a free chapel and donative, in the patronage of Trustees; incumbent, the Rev. David Davies, M.A. A gallery was added in 1836. The same testator bequeathed property now producing £111 per annum, which is appropriated to a distribution of clothing, bread, &c., and in apprenticing one or two children annually; and Henry Greswolde Lewis, in 1829, gave £1500, directing the dividends to be expended in clothing, bread, and meat.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Yardley – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, though, for the convenience of the inhabitants, assessed in the upper division of Halfshire, 5 miles E. from Birmingham, and 111 from London; containing 440 inhabited houses, nearly surrounded by Warwickshire. Considerable quantities of tiles are made here, which are forwarded by water-carriage from Birmingham, to different parts of the kingdom. It is a vicarage, Rev. Henry Gwyther, incumbent; instituted 1821; patron, Lord Milford. Population, 1801, 1906 – 1811, 1918 – 1821, 2313.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acock’s Green, a locality with a post-office under Birmingham and a station on the Oxford and Birmingham railway, 4¼ miles SE of Birmingham.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Showells Dictionary of Birmingham 1885
Acock’s Green, a few years back only a little village, is fast becoming a thriving suburban town. The old estate, of about 150 acres, was lotted out for building in 1839, the sale being then conducted by Messrs. E. and C. Robbins, August 19. The Public Hall, which cost about £3,000, was opened December 20, 1878 ; its principal room being 74 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 30 feet high.
Source: Showell’s Dictionary of Birmingham 1885.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Solihull
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Solihull
- Hundred: Halfshire
- Province: Canterbury