Whittington Littleburys Worcester Directory 1905
Distance – 2 ½ miles SE of Worcester.
Population – In 1901, 429. Acreage 1108.
Postal Information – Post and Telegraph Office, William Henry Ewins, Sub-Postmaster. Letters and Parcels arrive from Worcester at 8.15 a.m., 12.55 and 4.35 p.m.; Sunday delivery 8.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 11.15 a.m. and 6.5 p.m. on week-days, and 10.0 am. on Sundays. Telegrams may be sent on Sundays from 8.0 a.m. to 10.0 a.m.
The Wall Letterbox at Swinesherd is cleared at 7.20 a.m. and 8 p.m., and on Sundays at 11.40 a.m.; that at Norton Barracks at 11.0 a.m., 4.0 and 7.55 p.m. on week-days, and 7.55 p.m. on Sundays. Worcester is the post town and money order office.
Chapel of Ease (SS. Philip and James) – Rev. G. A. K. Simpson, M.A., Vicar of St. Peter’s with Whittington; E. Watson, Churchwarden; Mrs. Stinton, Sextoness.
College for the Higher Education of the Blind – Rev. T. Barnard, M.A., Head Master [for complete list of Trustees, &c., see Worcester Official Directory.]
Elementary School (boys, girls, and infants) – Miss C. Campbell, Mistress.
Assistant overseer – John Clews; res., Red Hill.
Allen Walker, 2 Rose villas
Barnard Rev. T., M.A., (head master), College for the Higher Education of the Blind
Beck Thomas, Shrub villa
Birt Miss Jane, I Rose villa
Bomford Alfred W., farmer, Swinesherd
Bullock Farmer, baker, St. Cuthbert’s
Brown Geo. Frdck. Sparrow, The Grange
Campbell Miss C., schoolmistress
Chamberlain Mrs. Eliza, The Elms
Chamberlain Frederick, farmer, The Elms
Clarke Charles, Red hill
Clarke Thomas, viceman (G. W. R), Avenue cottage, Swinesherd
Clews John, assistant overseer, Red hill
Clutterbuck James, Lilac cottages
Cooper George, blacksmith
Cottrill George, farmer, Lower Barn farm
Cottrill Nathaniel, farmer, Bank cottage
Curnock Mrs. Jane, mkt. gardnr., Bird’s close
Ewins William Henry, boot and shoe maker and sub-postmaster
Forty William, nurseryman and fruiterer, Swinesherd and Market Hall. All kinds of nursery stock supplied. Wreaths and crosses made to order on the shortest notice.
Gammons Richard, mkt. gardener, Swinesherd road
Garrard Samuel Bromley, M.A., Gables
George Frederick A., Red hill
Gillett Charles E.
Hillery Mrs., farmer, Chapelry farm
Madeley H. G., farmer, Horne hill
Meadows Mrs. Emma, laundress
Mullins Hubert, wheelwright, Swinesherd
Pitcher George, farmer, Cruckbarrow farm; res., Nunnery farm, St. Peter’s
Pope John, farmer, Church farm
Prosser Mrs. Harriet, Lower Barn farm
Ratcliffe John, Whittington hall
Sayers George, farm bailiff, Cruckbarrow
Smith Henry, Old House farm
Stinton Mrs. E., sextoness
Tombs N. J., farmer, Lower Battenhall
Vaughan Capt. Herbert, Whittington lodge
Walker The Misses, The Cottage
Wallis Hebert William, farmer, Uffnell
Watson Edwin & John, millers & threshing machine proprietors, Swinesherd mill
Watson Edwin, Avenue lodge, Swinesherd
Wells Frederick William, bricklayer
Wilmore Mrs., Swinesherd
Wood Ellen, Red hill
Wormington Thomas Alfred, Swan Inn
Source: Littlebury’s Directory of Worcester & District. Tenth Edition. Printed and Published by Littlebury & Company, The Worcester Press, Worcester. 1905.