Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1562
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Wesleyans Methodists

Parishes adjacent to Tempsford

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TEMPSFORD, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Ivel, and adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 4¾ miles SSW of St. Neots. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under St. Neots. Acres, 2,350. Real property, £3,528. Pop., 566. Houses, 131. T. Hall belongs to W. Stuart, Esq. The Danes, for some time, held the land; and were expelled by the Saxons in 921. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown. The church is chiefly later English. Charities, £11.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Tempsford, 4 m. N.W. Potton. P. 577.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Tempsford (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford, 5 miles (S. by W.) from St. Neot’s; containing 561 inhabitants. This place is of great antiquity, and was, occupied by the Danes before 921, when they were expelled by the Saxons; but they, returned in 1010, and reduced it to ashes. The great north road leading to St. Neot’s runs through the, parish, which, comprises about 1984 acres. The village is situated on the river Ivel, which is navigable through the parish, and falls into the Ouse as it passes along, the western boundary. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £24, and has a net income of £227; it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the tithes have been commuted for land, under an inclosure act. The church was given to the Prior and Convent of St. Neot’s, by Robert de Carun, in 1129, upon his grandson Anselm taking the monastic habit there. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Shefford
  • Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
  • Hundred: Biggleswade
  • Province: Canterbury