Shefford Bedfordshire Family History Guide
Shefford, a chapelry in the parish of Campton, county of Bedford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Methodist, and Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Shefford
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
SHEFFORD, a small town and a township-chapelry in Campton parish, Beds. The town stands on the river Ivel, and on the Midland railway, 9 ½ miles SE of Bedford; consists of spacious, well-paved, cleanly streets; and has a post-office under Biggleswade, a r. station with telegraph, a good inn, an ancient church restored and enlarged in 1850, Baptist, Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, and a weekly market on Friday, chiefly for the sale of straw-plait.—The chapelry comprises 1,120 acres. Real property, £2,454. Pop., 1,015. Houses, 216. The manor belongs to the Queen. Many fine Roman relics were found in a field adjoining the town, and were purchased for the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge. The living is annexed to Campton. The poet Bloomfield died here.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shefford, a chapelry in the parish of Campton, county of Bedford; 5 miles south-west by south of Biggleswade, on the southern bank of the Ivel. Living, a curacy annexed to the rectory of Campton. Tithes commuted in 1797. Here are a Baptist church, formed in 1825; an endowed Roman Catholic chapel; and 2 daily and 2 Sunday schools. There are also several schools in which about 100 children are taught to plait straw for bonnets. Fairs for cattle are held here on January 23d, Old Lady-day, and May 19th; and a holiday fair on October 11th. Acreage with the parish. Houses 134. A. P. £868. Pop., in 1801, 474; in 1831, 763. Poor rates, in 1838, £143 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Shefford, 9 miles Bedford. P. 889.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Shefford
- Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
- Hundred: Clifton
- Province: Canterbury