Last Updated on
Podington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hinwick.
Alternative names: Poddington, Possington, Puddington
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Parishes adjacent to Podington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PUDDINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Wellingborough and county of Bedford. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3 SSE of Irchester r. station, and 4½ S by W of Higham-Ferrers; and has a postal letter-box under Wellingborough. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hinwick, and comprises 2,770 acres. Real property, £3,364. Pop., 643. Houses, 142. The manor, with Hinwick House, belongs to R. L. Orlebar, Esq. Hinwick Hall is the seat of W. A. Orlebar, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £190. Patron, R. L. Orlebar, Esq. The church is of successive dates, from Norman to decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crocketted spire; and contains an ancient font and a brass of 1518. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Puddington, 10 m. N.W. Bedford. P. 602.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Bedfordshire
- Civil Registration District: Wellingborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
- Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
- Rural Deanery: Clapham
- Poor Law Union: Wellingborough
- Hundred: Willey
- Province: Canterbury