Blunham Bedfordshire Family History Guide

Last Updated on

Blunham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire. Moggerhanger was constituted a chapelry in 1860

Other places in the parish include: Moggerhanger and Muggerhanger.

Parish church: St. Edmond

Parish registers begin: 1571

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Blunham

Historical Descriptions

Blunham

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BLUNHAM, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel, near the Cambridge and Bedford and the Great Northern railways, 6½ miles E of Bedford; and has a station on the former railway, and a post office under St. Neot’s. It was once a market-town. Pop., 647. Houses, 147. The parish includes also the hamlet of Muggerhanger. Acres, 3,300. Real property, £7,266. Pop., 1,150. Houses, 243. The property is much subdivided. Blunham House and Blunham Park are chief residences; and the former is the seat of SirG. Payne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £731. Patron, Countess-Cowper. The church is Norman and good. The vicarage of Muggerhanger is a separate benefice. There are two dissenting chapels, a national school for boys, and an industrial school for girls.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Blunham, 4½ miles N. Biggleswade. P. 1050

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Blunham, co. Bedford.

P. T. Biggleswade (45) 5 m. NNW.

Pop. with Moggerhanger 540.

A parish in the hundred of Wixamtree; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Lincoln; valued in K. B. 46l. 2s. 11d.; church ded. to St. Edmond; patroness, the Countess de Grey.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Moggerhanger

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOGGERHANGER, or MUGGERHANGER, a village and a chapelry in Blunham parish, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSW of Blunham r-station, 1¼ mile W of the river Ivel, and 4½ NW by N of Biggleswade; and has a post office under St. Neots. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Charlton, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 503. Houses, 96. Moggerhanger House is the seat of F. Dawkins, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, F. Dawkins, Esq. The church was built in 1861, by the late Mrs. Dawkins, as a memorial to her deceased husband, the Rev. E. H. Dawkins; is in the early Norman style, of Kempston stone and Silsoe red sandstone, with pillars of Ancaster stone; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and apsidal chancel, with a central tower; and contains a splendid brass monument to the Rev. E. H. Dawkins, over his remains.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Moggerhanger, in Blunham parish. P. 425.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Census

Administration

  • County: Bedfordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Biggleswade
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
  • Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
  • Rural Deanery: Shefford
  • Poor Law Union: Biggleswade
  • Hundred: Wixamtree
  • Province: Canterbury

Further Reading from Amazon

out of stock
1 used from 3.00
Amazon.co.uk
Last updated on May 18, 2019 11:03 pm