Last Updated on
Barrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Arlescott, Swinney, and Arlscott.
Parish registers begin: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Barrow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARROW, a parish in Madely district, Salop; on the Much Wenlock railway, 3 miles E of Much Wenlock. Post Town, Much Wenlock, under Wellington. Acres, 3,013 Real property, £3,780. Pop., 365. Houses, 65. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Willey, in the diocese of Hereford. The church was restored in 1850. There is an endowed school with £34 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barrow, 2½ m. E. Wenlock. P. 383
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Barrow. A parish in the franchise of Wenlock, chapel to Much Wenlock, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 96 houses, 462 inhabitants. 2 ½ miles east of Wenlock.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Universal British Directory 1791
Barrow, which is one mile east of Broseley, has a large porcelain manufactory, which is carried on by Thomas Turner, Esq. under the name of the Shropshire Porcelain Manufactory
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
The Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll 1672
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Madeley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Wenlock
- Poor Law Union: Madeley
- Hundred: Much Wenlock Borough
- Province: Canterbury