Astley Abbots, Shropshire Family History Guide
Astley Abbots is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Alternative names: Astley Abbotts
Parish registers begin: 1561
Parishes adjacent to Astley Abbots
- Bridgnorth St Leonard
- Bridgnorth St Mary Magdalen
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASTLEY-ABBOTS, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, 1½ mile S of Linley r. station, and 2½ N of Bridgnorth. Post Town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 3,228. Real property, £4,716. Pop., 668. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. Astley-Abbots House is the seat of T. Whitmore, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, W. A. Warwick, Esq. The church is Saxon, in tolerable condition; and has some ancient monuments. Charities, £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Astley (Abbots), a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, Salop; 2 miles north from Bridgnorth, and within the parliamentary boundary of that borough. Living, a perpetual curacy, not in charge, in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Lichfield. Patron, in 1829, T. Whitmore, Esq. The great and small tithes of Morville and Astley- Abbots, the property of the lay-impropriator and incumbent of Astley-Abbots, commuted in 1773. Here is a school for poor children with a small endowment, bequeathed, in 1805, by Mrs C. Philips. Pop., in 1801, 740; in 1831, 666. Houses 135. Acres 3,330. A. P. £3,571. Poor rates, in 1837, £323.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Astley Abbotts Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Astley-Abbotts, 2 miles N. Bridgenorth. P. 657
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Astley Abbots, a parish, in the union of Bridgnorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 2 miles (N.) from Bridgnorth ; containing 657 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 3200 acres, is intersected by the road from Bridgnorth to Broseley, and by the river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of T. Whitmore, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for rent-charges amounting to £255. 15., and there are 51 1/2 acres of rectorial glebe. The church, which is in the later English style, was rebuilt in 1638; the chancel is of modern date. A parochial school was endowed by Mrs. C. Phillips in 1805, with £300 in the three per cent. consols.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Astley Abbots Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Astley Abbots. A parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, a curacy, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 138 houses, 664 inhabitants. 2 ¼ miles north-west by north of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
- County: Shropshire
- Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
- Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth
- Hundred: Stottesdon
- Province: Canterbury