Last Updated on
Yate is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Yate
- Wapley with Codrington
- Coalpit Heath
- Chipping Sodbury
- Iron Acton
- Old Sodbury
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
YATE, a parish, with a village, in Chipping-Sudbury district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Bristol railway, 1 mile W by N of Chipping-Sudbury. It has a post-office under Chipping-Sudbury, a r. station, and Chipping-Sodbury workhouse. Acres, 4,042. Real property, £9,905; of which £1,395 are in mines, and £10 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 1,138; of whom 119 were in the workhouse. Houses, 210. The property is much subdivided. Yate House, Yate Lawn, and Firgrove House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £851. Patron, the Rev. G. L. Harvey. The church is later English, and was interiorly restored in 1850. There are a Baptist chapel, national and British schools, and charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Yate (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (W.) from Chipping Sodbury; containing 1057 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4042 acres, of which 656 are common or waste, an act for inclosing which was passed in 1842 : the substratum abounds in coal, of which there are some mines in operation. The village has been made a polling-place for the W. division of the county. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £30. 18. 11½., and in the gift of W. S. Goodenough, Esq. : the tithes have been commuted for £685, and the glebe comprises 154 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury