Bayton Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Bayton, Betune, or Baynton, is a Village and Parish 7 miles W. from Bewdley, and 1 ¾ S.E.S. from Cleobury Mortimer, containing a population, in 1851, of 449 inhabitants.

According to the Doomesday Survey, it belonged to Ralph de Todeni; it then descended by the marriage of Alice, sister and heir of Robert Lord Todeni (commonly called Tony), with Guy de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, to their heirs, Earls of Warwick, and so continued till the attainder of Edward Plantagenet, Earl of Warwick (15th Henry VII.) it fell to the Crown. It was afterwards granted to Mr. Walter Walsh, with Abberley.

In this parish is Shakenhurst, or Checenhorst, which formerly had owners who derived their name from it, one of whom, Walter de Shakenhurst, was with Edward II in foreign parts, and did good service, as appears by a charter of pardon of all felonies and trespass, granted to him by that king. The family became extinct after Walter de Shakenhurst, who died without issue, leaving John de Meysey, his nephew, heir. The Meyseys are said to have come from Meysey in Brittany with the Conqueror, who gave them Hampton-meysey, Marston-Meysey, &c., which they held till the time of Richard II, when they were sold. The family of Meysey, after settling in this country, became of considerable note, and their lineal descendants still remain proprietors of Shakenhurst.

The Church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, is a structure of about the thirteenth or fourteenth century, consisting of nave, chancel, western embattled tower, and south porch, which was rebuilt in the year 1819. The chancel has a Norman arch, but the windows are more in the Gothic style. The font is very massive, formed out of solid stone, and of curiously decorated work, and has the appearance of being coeval with the church. Rev. David Davis, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Edward Mytton, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.

The Parochial School, for the education of the children of the parish, is principally supported by the lady of C. Wickstead, Esq.

Charities – Mr. Thomas Stokes, late of Broad Meadow, gave £100 to be invested in government security, the proceeds to be given to the poor in bread on Twelfth day; also Mr. John Cook, of the Mill, in this parish, gave £100, which was invested in the purchase of £111 8s 5d, in the Three per Cent. Consolidated Annuities; the produce to pay the minister 10s 6d to preach a sermon on Twelfth day, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor of Bayton who attend divine service on that day, and those who may be indisposed at the time.


Davies Rev. David, M.A., Vicar of Mamble and Bayton, Vicarage

Wickstead Charles, Esq., Shakenhurst

Andrews William, carpenter

Blount William, blacksmith

Brown Ann, dress maker

Cook William, farmer, The Mill

Crump James, farmer and maltster, Parsonage

Evans Edwin, wheelwright

Farr John, farmer, Woodside

Hall Elizabeth, victualler, Wheat Sheaf

Hancox William, mason, Clowstop

Hill Robert Caleb, agent to C. Wickstead, Esq., Shakenhurst Farm

Lello William, mason

Malpass Mary, farmer, Plough Stall

Mapp Thomas, farmer, Mayberrys

Millichap William, blacksmith

Mole William, farmer and shop keeper

Mole Joseph, shoe maker, Clowstop

Mytton Edward, farmer, Vicarage Farm

Pearce John, farmer, Norgrove’s End

Preece John, farmer, Tedons

Potter Thos., victualler, Crown, Clowstop

Scott Samuel, farmer, Church House

Simmonds John, cooper, wheelwright, and carpenter

Simmonds William, cooper, Clowstop

Steward George, shoe maker

Stinton Sarah, straw bonnet maker

Wyatt and Aston, coal merchants

Wyer James, farmer, Nineveh

Wyer Wm., shoe maker and shopkeeper

Wyer James, shopkeeper

Wyer Rosannah, dress maker

Post Office – Mr. William Wyer, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.