Last Updated on
Areley Kings is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Dunley.
Church: St. Bartholomew
The register commences with the year 1539.
The manor of Areley Kings was from early times part of the manor of Martley and the rector of Martley still has the right to appoint the rector at Areley Kings. The manor of Areley originated in a fishery at “Ernel” which, with the land belonging to it, was granted by the Empress Matilda to Bordesley Abbey upon its foundation in 1136, and retained until the Dissolution.
Prince Rupert of the Rhine is rumoured to have slept a night at Areley House during the English Civil War.
St Bartholomew’s Parish Church at Areley Kings was founded as a Norman Church, with a continuous history and a partial re-building by the Victorians. The church is probably first mentioned in the preface of the Brut of Laȝamon, who wrote sometime between 1189 and 1207. He describes himself as a priest at Erneleye, at a noble church upon Severn’s bank. He wrote a history of England, partly legendary, partly factual, translating earlier writings from Latin and French. The discovery, during rebuilding, of the base of a Norman font under the nave floor with an inscription containing the name of Layamon, establishes the connection with the writer and shows that a church existed here c. 1200.
The church complex includes a Queen Anne Rectory and medieval timber-framed church house.
Parishes adjacent to Areley Kings
Historical Descriptions of Areley Kings
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Areley (King’s), a parish in Martley district, Worcester; on the river Severn, ½ a mile SW of Stourport r. station. It contains the hamlet of Dunley; and its post town is Stourport. Acres, 1,449. Real property, £3,659. Pop., 564. Houses, 138. The property is much subdivided. An eminence on which the church is situated commands an extensive prospect. Areley House and Areley Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £346. Patron, the Rev. H. J. Hastings. The church is early English, with a Norman doorway. A rude sepulchral monument, inscribed with a quaint rhyming distich, said to be to the memory of Sir Henry Coningsby of Herefordshire, is in the churchyard. Layamon, author of an ancient British history, was a native. Charities, £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Areley (King’s), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 3½ miles south by east of Bewdley; on the Severn opposite Stourport. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £9; gross income £406. Patron, in 1835, the rector of Martley. The church is a fine Gothic building, and stands on an eminence, from which there is an extensive prospect. In the burial ground there is a rude sepulchral monument bearing a quaint rhyming distich, importing that a person named Sir Harry was buried there. It is not certainly known who Sir Harry was; but tradition relates that he was a Sir Henry Coningsby of Herefordshire, who was driven into seclusion here by the loss of his only child, who was drowned by falling from his arms, as he held her at a window, into a moat. Charities connected with this parish produce £19 yearly. Layamon, author of a history of the British from Brute to Cadwallader, who states himself to have been a priest residing at Erenlege on the Severn, is said to have been born in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 377; in 1831, 372. Houses 83. Acres 1,390. A. P. £2,554. Poor rates, in 1837, £233.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Worcestershire Delineated C. J. Greenwood 1822
Areley-Kings – a parish in Doddingtree hundred, upper division, 4½ miles S. from Bewdley, and 122 from London; containing 76 inhabited houses; the church, which stands upon a hill, is a neat gothic structure, and has lately been tastefully repaired in that style: on the north side is a curious Saxon doorway, now built up: under the shade of 4 elms planted in the church-yard, is a curious tomb, supposed to be that of Sir Henry Coningsby; a walnut-tree was planted over the grave, which has lately been cut down. The living is a rectory; Rev. George Hulme, incumbent; instituted 1793; patron, the Rector of Martley. Population, 1801, 377 – 1811, 392 – 1821, 358.
Areley Hall, the residence of the Rev. Reginald Pyndar, a handsome modern mansion, built on the site of a very ancient building, formerly the seat of the Mucklows.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Family History Links for Areley Kings
The following records for Areley Kings are available free from FamilySearch.
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Stourport
- Polling District: Stourport
- Highway District: Kidderminster
- County Court District: Kidderminster
- Family History Links for Areley Kings