Last Updated on

Amblecote is an Ecclesiastical Parish partly in Staffordshire and partly in Worcestershire. Created 1845 from Old Swinford Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Coalbourn Brook and Wollaston.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin: see Old Swinford and also Kingswinford and Wordesley

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Amblecote

Historical Descriptions

Amblecote

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

AMBLECOAT, a hamlet and a chapelry in Old Swinford parish, Stafford. The hamlet stands on the southern verge of the county, at the river Stour; and is suburban to Stourbridge, being separated from it only by the river. Acres, 689. Real property, with Kingswinford, £273,468, of which £66,786 are in mines, £128,936 in iron-works, and £9,550 in canals. Pop., 2,613. Houses, 531. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in potteries, glass-works, collieries, and ironworks. The chapelry was constituted in 1845, and originally included Woolaston, but since 1860, has been coextensive with Amblecoat hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church stands on an eminence, was opened in 1844, and is a pleasing structure of fire bricks.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

AMBLECOAT, a hamlet in that part of the parish of Old Swinford, which is in Staffordshire, in the union of Stourbridge; 1 mile north of Stourbridge. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries, and earthenware, and iron-works, in the vicinity. Pop., in. 1801, 1,002; in 1831, 1,236. Houses 244. Acres 570. A.P. £3,186. Poor rates, in 1837, £679. — There are an infant-school, and four daily schools, here.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Amblecoat, a hamlet, in the parish of Old Swinford, union of Stourbridge, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and the county of Stafford, ½ mile (N.) from Stourbridge; containing 1623 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220. A school, in which are about 150 boys and 85 girls, is supported by subscription.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Coalbourn Brook

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Coalbourn-Brook, a locality on the northern border of Worcester, 1 mile from Stourbridge. It has a post-office under Stourbridge.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records Worcestershire

FamilySearch Historical Records Staffordshire

Newspapers

Dudley Mercury, Stourbridge, Brierley Hill, and County Express

County Express; Brierley Hill, Stourbridge, Kidderminster, and Dudley News

Dudley Herald

Dudley Guardian, Tipton, Oldbury & West Bromwich Journal and District Advertiser

Dudley and District News

County Express – Worcestershire

Worcestershire Chronicle

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire & Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stourbridge
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
  • Poor Law Union: Stourbridge
  • Hundred: Staffordshire: South Seisdon; Worcestershire: Halfshire
  • Province: Canterbury

Photographs

Videos