Aconbury Herefordshire Family History Guide
Aconbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Acconbury or Acornbury
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1813
Parishes adjacent to Aconbury
- Much Dewchurch
- Little Birch
- Much Birch
- Upper and Lower Bullinghope
- Holme Lacy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Aconbury, or Acornbury, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands 2¾ miles WSW of Holme-Lacey r. station, and 4½ S of Hereford, and is an old-fashioned place. The parish comprises 1,591 acres; and its Post Town is Holme-Lacey under Hereford. Real property, £1,132. Pop., 183. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Aconbury hill, to the S of the village, commands an extensive and very fine prospect, and shows distinct traces of a large Roman camp. An Augustinian nunnery anciently stood in Aconbury forest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £53. Patron, the Rev. S. Thackwell. The church is neat.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acconbury or Acornbury (St. John the Baptist), a parish in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S.) from Hereford; containing 158 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1590 acres by computation, and is intersected by the old road from Ross or Ross-On-Wye Herefordshire to Hereford, and on its western side by that between Hereford and Monmouth. A nunnery of the order of St. Augustine was founded here, in the reign of John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy, to the honour of the Holy Cross, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £75. 7. 5¼. : the remains have been converted into a farm-house, and some stone coffins are still preserved. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patrons, the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, London. The vaults of the church contain the ashes of many illustrious persons, among whom are the first Duke of Chandos, and an Earl of Carnarvon. On the summit of Acconbury hill, celebrated for its fine plantations and drives, and its beautiful views, are traces of a large Roman encampment, the rampart of which, on the east side, is plainly discernible.
Source: Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acconbury, or Acornbury, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford; 4 ½ miles south from Hereford. Living, a perpetual curacy in the dio. of Hereford, and a peculiar of that see; rated at £6 6s. 8d., and in the parliamentary return at £80; gross income £259: the vicarage of Dewsall and the curacy of Callow, being included in these estimates. Patrons, the governors of Guy’s hospital, London. Pop. in 1801, 113; in 1831, 163. Houses 31. Acres 1,470. A. P. £1,058. Poor rates, in 1837, £45. The following is from Tanner’s ‘Notitia:’ — ” King John gave the forest of Acornbury to Margery, the wife of Walter de Lacy, that she might therein found a nunnery, which she did, about 3 miles south of Hereford, to the honour of the Holy Cross. This priory, or hospital, consisted of a prioress and seven nuns, of the order of St Austin, and was endowed, 26° Henry VIII., with £67 13s. 2d. per annum, Dugd.; £73 7s 5d., d. Speed. It was granted 33° Henry VIII., to Hugh-ap-Harry.” From Sir John Bridges, the manor of Acconbury came to his son Lord Chandos, and was sold with other estates of the family in the last century. The remains of the nunnery have been converted into a farm-house There are traces of a Roman camp on the summit of Acronbury hill, which lies to the south of the village.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Acornbury, co. Hereford.
P. T. Hereford (135) 4½ m. S. Pop. 148
A parochial chapelry in the upper divisions of Wormelow hundred; living in the diocese of Hereford; not charged, and a peculiar of the see; church ded. to St John the Baptist; patron the governor of Guy’s hospital, London.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Aconbury, (Heref.) a village situate between Great Birch and Callow-Pass, where there is a large camp of the same name. Here was formerly a nunnery of the order of St. Augustine, the remains of which have been fitted up as a farm house; and some stone coffins, preserved in the nun’s chapel, have been engraved for Gough’s sepulchral monuments.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury
- Rural District: Hereford
- Petty Sessional Division: Hereford
- County Court District: Hereford