Last Updated on

Aymestrey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Conhope, Covenhope, Mortimer’s Cross, Yatton, Over Lye, Shirley, and Nether Lye.

Parish church: St. John and St. Alkmund

Parish registers begin: 1568

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Aymestrey

Historical Descriptions

Aymestrey

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

AYMESTREY, a township and a parish in Leominster district, Hereford. The township lies on the river Lug, 3½ miles NNW of Kingsland r. station, and 7 NW of Leominster. The village in it is pleasant; the neighbouring banks of the Lug are singularly rich and beautiful; and a circumjacent limestone formation is famous for fossils picked up either in quarries or on the public road. Real property, £1,893. The parish includes also the townships of Leinthall-Earls, Nether-Lye, Over-Lye, Yatton, Shirley, and Covenhope or Conhope; and its Post Town is Kingsland, Herefordshire. Acres, 6,349. Real property, with Elton and Leinthall-Starkes, £8,324. Pop., 855. Houses, 178. The property is much sub divided. Traces of Roman and British camps are near the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £249. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. The p. curacy of Leinthall-Earls is a separate charge. Two endowed schools, an almshouse, and other charities, have aggregately an income of £50.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Aymestrey, or Aylmistree, a parish partly in the hund, of Stretford, and partly in that of Wigmore, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 8 miles north-west from Leominster. It comprises the townships of Conhope, Aymestrey, and Over Lye. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Heretord; rated at £7 14s. 2d.; gross income £253; in the patronage of the Crown. There are a charity school here, with an endowment of about £14 per annum, now in connection with the National school society, and two other daily schools. Other charities connected with the parish produce about £19 per annum. The river Lugg runs through this parish, and its banks here are singularly rich and beautful. Near the village are traces of Roman and British camps. Pop., in 1801, 779; in 1831, 1,006. Houses 195. Acres 7,070. A. P. £5,020. Poor rates, in 1837, £482.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aymestry, 10 miles S.W. Ludlow. P. 958

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England Herefordshire 1845

Aymestrey (St. John and St. Alkmund), a parish, in the union of Leominster, consisting of the townships of Conhope and Over Lye, in the hundred of Stretford, and the townships of Aymestrey, Mortimer’s-Cross, Nether Lye, Shirley, and Yatton, and the chapelry of Leinthall-Earls, in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, 8 miles (N. W.) from Leominster; containing 958 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Lugg, comprises by computation 5721 acres, of which 1926 are arable, 2355 meadow and pasture, 1405 woodland, and about 35 garden ground: limestone abounds in the vicinity. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £7. 14. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £249; impropriators, Bishop of Hereford and Mrs. Lewis. There is a chapel of ease at Leinthall-Earls, a very ancient structure. Here are two schools, with small endowments. Traces of Roman and British camps are discernible near the village.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Yatton

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Yatton, a township, in the parish of Aymestrey, union of Leominster, hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford; containing 214 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Aymestrey Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Leominster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Leominster
  • Poor Law Union: Leominster
  • Hundred: Stretford
  • Province: Canterbury