Last Updated on
Allensmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish:
- Goose Pool
- Cobhall Common
- Winnal Common
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1698
- Primitive Methodist – Primitive Methodist chapel at Cobhall Common
- Wesleyan Methodist – Wesleyan chapel at Hungerstone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLENSMORE, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; near Tram-Inn r. station, 4 miles SW of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 2,007. Real property, £3,061. Pop., 612. Houses, 156. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is in disrepair. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allensmore, a parish in the hund. of Webtree, Herefordshire; 4 miles south-west of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean of Hereford. It is rated at £5 12s. 6d. Charities connected with this parish amount to about £20 annually. There is a day and Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 383; in 1831, 592. Houses 133. Acres 1,930. A. P. £2,166. Poor rates, in 1837, £238.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Allensmore, 4 m. S.W. Hereford. P. 668.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Allensmore (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S.W.) from Hereford; containing 668 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Hereford to Monmouth, and consists of 1820 acres, the surface being generally level, with an ample proportion of timber. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the King’s books at £5. 12. 6., and endowed with £400 royal bounty; patron, the Dean of Hereford. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for two rentcharges, each of £125, one payable to the Dean, and the other to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £175, and a rent charge of £7. 6. is paid to impropriators. There are 30 acres of glebe. A school was established in 1824.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Allensmore, co. Hereford.
P. T. Hereford (135) 4 m. SW. Pop. 513.
A parish in the hundred of Webtree; living, a dis. vicarage, and peculiar of the Dean of Hereford; valued in K. B. 5l. 12s. 6d.; patrons, Dean and Chapter of Hereford.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
FamilySearch – Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Berrow Jane, Allensmore, Herefordshire, farmer and maltster, March 9, 1824.
Chapman William, Allensmore, Herefordshire, timber merchant, Dec. 23, 1834.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury