Aconbury is a parish, and straggling village, distant 4 ½ miles south-south-east from Hereford, 2 ½ south-west from Holme Lacy station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway, 142 ½ from London, and 9 north-west from Ross, in the Hundred of Wormelow, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Irchenfield deanery; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Ross, and possesses scenery of romantic description, which is blended with woodland. The church is a small old stone building in the Gothic style, and consists of nave, chancel, and a very ancient porch, with a low tower. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, belonging to the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed in the time of King John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy; its revenues at the time of the dissolution amounted to the yearly value of £75 7s. 0d. This estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in this county, belonging to the Lords Chandos, during the last century. The remains of this nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, then the property of the monks, is now converted into, and fitted up as a farmhouse, called Aconbury Court. On Aconbury Hill are the traces of a large camp of square form. The living is a rectory, worth £258 annually, without residence, being in the patronage of Guy’s Hospital; the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 141. The soil is rich loam, and subsoil lime stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are the lords of the manor, and also the chief landed proprietors of this parish.
Letters through Much Birch. Hereford is the nearest money order office.
Davies T., carpenter
Hughes T., stonemason
Morgan J., sawyer
Pritchard Wm., carpenter
Verrey J., shoemaker
Addis Thomas, Caldicott
Bickerton William, Merryfold
Jones William, Warren
Mansell Thomas, the Cross-in-hand
Spencer William, Aconbury court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.