Aconbury Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Aconbury is a parish and straggling village, distant 4½ miles south-south-east from Hereford, 2½ south-west from Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway. 142½ from London, and 10 north west from Ross, in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, Hereford union, county court, district, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Archenfield deanery; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Ross. The church (name not known) is a small and old stone building in the Gothic style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and very ancient porch, with a low tower containing 1 bell; it is now (1863) being completely restored, the funds for which purpose were raised principally by subscription.
The living is a donative, value about £40 yearly, without residence, in the gift of the trustees of Queen Anne’s Bounty; the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., is the incumbent. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, belonging to the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed In the time of King John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy; its revenues at the time of the Dissolution amounted to the yearly sum of £75 7s. 5d. This estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in this county belonging to the Lords Chandos, during the last century; the remains of this nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, is now converted into a farmhouse, called Aconbury Court. The population in 1861 was 183. The soil is a rich loam, and subsoil Done stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and also the chief landed proprietors in this parish.
Caldicott, The Warren, Merryfold, and The Cross-In-Hand are farms.
Parish Clerk, James Addis.
Addis Thomas, farmer, Caldicott
Davies Thomas, carpenter
Hepburn Archibald, farmer, Aconbury court
Hughes Thomas, stonemason
Imms Thomas, farmer, Merryfold
Jones William, farmer, Warren
Mansell Thomas, farmer, Cross-in-hand
Morgan John, sawyer, Aconbury hill
Preece James, carpenter
Pritchard Wm. carpenter, Aconbury hill
Verrey John, shoemaker
Letters through Ross. Hereford is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.