Aconbury is a parish and straggling village, an the road from Hereford to Ross, 3 miles south-west from Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway, 4½ miles south-east from Hereford and 10 north-west from Ross, in the Hereford division of the county, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, Hereford rural district, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Hereford south, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small but ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a low western tower containing one bell: in the south wall of the church there still remains a “low side window,” probably of Norman date: the church was completely restored in 1863, and affords sittings for 183 persons. The register dates only from the year 1813. The benefice is united with that of Little Dewchurch, joint net yearly value £295, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and J. C. Adkins esq. alternately, and held since 1940 by the Rev. Donald Edward Jones B. A. of the University of Wales, who resides at Little Dewchurch. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery of Canonesses of the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed in the time of King John by Margaret, wife of Walter de Lacy, and dedicated to SS. Mary, John, Katherine and the Holy Cross, its revenues at the time of the Dissolution, when there were seven nuns, amounted to a yearly sum of £75 7s. 5d.; this estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in the county belonging to the Lord Chandos, during the 18th century; the remains of the nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, have been converted into a farmhouse called Aconbuy Court. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and chief landowners. Electricity is available. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, Done stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The area is 1,692 acres; the population in 1931 was 117.
For Kingsthorne, see Much Birch.
Letters through Hereford. Hoarwithy is the nearest M. O. & T. office.
(For TN see general list of Private Residents at the end of book).
Foster Henry Knollys, Mount Skippitt (postal address, Kingsthorne, Hereford)
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Halford Albt. Edwd. Frmr. Kings Pits
Layton Wm. farmer, Aconbuy court
Matthews Rt. Berkeley, farmer, Caldicott
Morgan Jas. Leonard, frmr. Lower ho
Paine Ernest Edwin, farmer, Merrivale (postal address, Kingsthorne, Hereford)
Rogers W. W. farmer, Cross-in-Hand
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information